I'm really unhappy with the way my tank looks. Help!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

lovemybarbs

AC Members
Dec 23, 2006
Midwest
Mopani works great. Sinks immediately.

A. Crispus

AC Members
Jun 20, 2009
Get more drift wood in branchy, interesting, twisty shapes.

Get some more river rock

Get a lot more plants.

Look at some tank layouts you where you like the driftwood layout & try to emulate it. Even look at binding some of it with java moss, java fern, or anubias, or all three. It gives a lovely natural feel and the fish something to swim around.

If you like your skull_ you don't need to take it out. F*&@! opinionated people who are telling you to get rid of it.

I think you could nicely work it in by more heavily planting the tank floor. (Look at some dutch aquarium setups for ideas.) If you cleverly put the skull (maybe tilted a bit) amidst the planting_ some tall stuff close behind it, some slightly shorter stuff close around it, some really short stuff close in front of it, if a little algae grows on it let it_ It'll start to look less like an ornament & more like an abandoned relic.

Definitely Blackwrap the back of the tank though.

dundadundun

;sup' dog? ;woof and a wwwoof!
Jan 21, 2009
S.E. PA
he doesn't have to see his reflection in a background...

[yt]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_5Ng6GeF9mA&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_5Ng6GeF9mA&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/yt]

and... he did ask for opinions... if he wants the skull that's for him to decide... as in his opinion

AngeTheDude

AC Members
May 22, 2009
UPDATE:

I've rearranged my tank for the moment until my new driftwood is ready. My plan is to line the back with the anacharis when enough of it grows out.

Anyone see my hidden friend?

impetus

AC Members
Apr 6, 2010
Vancouver Canada
I like the gravel but the skull has got to go. A few more plants and wood and dark background and i think it would be great.

jbradt

this is bat country
May 9, 2008
outback, NY
Real Name
I. P. Daily
Wow, it looks lots better! I still support the skull! :silly: to anyone who says different. I agree that a black background would help a lot.

raining

AC Members
Mar 29, 2010
fill background with plants, some hardy and fast growing ones and as for the skull maybe some java moss covering it or around it would make it look good , but once the background is either a diff colour or full of plants it will look great!

AngeTheDude

AC Members
May 22, 2009
I'm guessing no one is reading about how the betta will flare at his reflection constantly when there's a dark background...

fishycat

needs more wiggle.
Dec 9, 2009
Hawaii
Y'know... With the curtain of anacharis, the dark background would probably work. As a test you could just tape on a piece of paper. Your bettas color is highly reflective (like mine), so nothing dark may work. My guy has all 4 sides uncovered, and he will still flare sometimes when his light is on. White paper worked :p

Looks good! I kinda like the new placement of "skully"... he's watching meee! :D some java moss tucked in around the skull/wood and allowed to grow as a fringe/halo would be cool, too.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store