In 2010 I spent 5-6 days doing waterchanges? (calling all python users)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Optimus

AC Members
Aug 23, 2010
You put the conditioner in while it is filling. For example I did a water change to my 55g. While I'm filling the tank with water I'll dose the amount needed for 55g and let it fill. Been doing this for 6 months now.
I keep my filter off and only add the conditioner after the change. I leave it for about 10 mins then switch it back on.

Never had a spike since the bacs are in the canister.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I think your fittings may be different in the UK & Pythons don't fit the newer faucets here. I know there's something similar there or you can use a waterbed filler for DIY, ask at lfs or club, they should know.

I get the siphon going at the kitchen sink then turn off the water & throw the end in the tub. Most tanks are around sink height so the flow is SLOW & wastes water. Then to refill I reattach, adjust temp, add Prime for the tank volume & refill. Not quite the miracle I was hoping for but MUCH better than buckets for my 7 tanks, it's slower than I'd hoped. I still use a small gravel vac & bucket for my 10g shrimp tank.

KevG

AC Members
Jul 8, 2010
Mtl.Qc.Ca
I learnt how easy it can be myself in september and posted a thread on it also.
I also carried bucket after bucket, spill here and there!!
I use the aquavac same as the python and it is amazing!
Water changes are easy and I don't feel like "uggg I have to do a water chage" It takes no time at all!
I can do a 30 to 50% water change on my 33 and 80G in an hour.
Also my cats love chasing the bubbles lol.

nonamesleft47

AC Members
Apr 24, 2008
They are great. I drain mine directly outside then to refill we have one of those retractable sink heads, I disconnect the head of the sink then attach it to the python with a small C clamp.

rstrobel

AC Members
Jan 15, 2010
Modesto, CA
you can easily improvise one with parts from a hardware store! there's a couple threads in the diy section with instructions on how to do so.

Mgamer20o0

BobsTropicalPlants.com
Staff member
Jun 4, 2003
www.bobstropicalplants.com
I usually do not use it to drain the tank...I drain to the nearest bath tub/window/door. No need to run and waste water to get water out, but in some cases once you use the tap to start the flow it can maintain on it's own. AWESOME for filling!

Fittings needed can most likely be obtained at your hardware store.
i use it to start it up then turn the water off. i also drain mine out side to the back yard. i just use a reg hose for filling that way i have one emptying one tank while i fill the other.

the main part is just a water bed hose connector. you can do it your self and probability save your self a good amount of money.

mountain_webste

AC Members
May 2, 2007
B-more
I've had mixed results. My tank is level with my sink. Even with the water running, I can't get enough suction to vacum the debris and substrate. I end up draining slowly but still have to use syphon and buckets to clean.

It is amazing for refilling, I love that. As others said, just add the water conditioner before, or as, you refill.

I can do a 40% change on my 165G in <45 min.

knight4th

AC Members
Jan 29, 2010
I use the aqueon water changer it comes with several different adapters to fit almost any sink and i love it. The siphon tube also has a valve on it so u can just the water. Flow off at ur tank instead of running to the sink. If ur going to use it to fill ur tank back up add the water conditioner to the tank directly for the full volume of the tank not the volume of water u are adding back in

Narwhal72

AC Members
Aug 13, 2009
The Aqueon water changer comes with adapters for 3/4" garden hose, 15/16" and 55/64" faucet threads. I am not sure if these are used in the UK. You may need an adapter. Or you could find a locally made waterbed filling pump (which should have the proper thread adapters) and connect the Aqueon changer to it.

Andy

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store