I've joined the dark side. Soon to be manager of the Petland Lancaster fish dep.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mdwalt1

AC Members
Jan 11, 2003
Texas Gulf Coast
Visit site
Just a quick word of advice after seeing some of your photos:
A planted tank can become a nightmare for catching that one fish specified by the customer. You will trash the decor whipping a net around a planted tank. Try to keep the decorations to a minimum to avoid total destruction of them (hopefully) many times per day. :)
BTW - your stock looks great. (Although I'm not a fan of the googly-eyed goldfish. ;) )

00Smurf

The Fish Guy
Apr 15, 2008
Canal Winchester, Ohio
Just a quick word of advice after seeing some of your photos:
A planted tank can become a nightmare for catching that one fish specified by the customer. You will trash the decor whipping a net around a planted tank. Try to keep the decorations to a minimum to avoid total destruction of them (hopefully) many times per day. :)
BTW - your stock looks great. (Although I'm not a fan of the googly-eyed goldfish. ;) )
O the planted is just for the display tank. The rest of the plants in the other tanks are fake, except for some amazon sword tht was there b4 i got there.

I hate those fugly goldfish too. but chicks love em.

Hollygirl

Overfilter and Understock
Sep 3, 2007
Chicago, Illinois
That whole business about the store not wanting the help to go to the Fish Department because they would rather have them selling puppies - if I were in your shoes this is what I would do. Make your department the best; when your sales far exceed what the puppies are selling for, they will take notice.

NeonFlux

Water agent
Oct 16, 2005
Los Angeles, California
Real Name
William
O the planted is just for the display tank. The rest of the plants in the other tanks are fake, except for some amazon sword tht was there b4 i got there.

I hate those fugly goldfish too. but chicks love em.
May I ask what do you mean fugly?... :headshake2: Cuz they are not!

00Smurf

The Fish Guy
Apr 15, 2008
Canal Winchester, Ohio
That whole business about the store not wanting the help to go to the Fish Department because they would rather have them selling puppies - if I were in your shoes this is what I would do. Make your department the best; when your sales far exceed what the puppies are selling for, they will take notice.
that is my goal. :)

boomerjr91

I see you!
Apr 8, 2007
Horseheads, NY
:iagree:not a big fan either. Your rams look like females to me as well. your department is looking better than all of my lfs' already, maybe except for one. I may pm you with possible fish when I stock my 55 after it's done cycling (already have a redhead sev going in).

xDetroitMetalx

AC Members
Apr 24, 2008
Moro, OR
Selling mill puppies is an ugly buisness and I refuse to shop at ANY petstore that sells them and won't tell me where they get them. The mother of the puppies usually end up really sick or/and dead because they are overbred the puppy you purchase for top dollar could be inbred. The "breeders" have the mother carry over and over again without rest and feed them cheap poor quality foods.

Most privately owned pet stores refuse to sell puppies or if they do they make sure the breeder is legit by visiting the breeding grounds and knowing that the breeders is responsible. Most real breeders want to know how the puppies are doing within a year or so and it shows they care when they give you a call and you aren't expecting it.

They want to sell puppies because it is a large profit margine! I've seen pups I can get for 300-450 dollars sell for a couple grand at some pet shops. They claim that these pups are "hand picked!" do you know what that means? That means some guy bent down and picked up a puppy to ship out to a pet store! Nothing more and nothing less. It's really sad and I hate to say that if I asked your dog manager where he was getting these pups he wouldn't know and I wouldn't be back to your store.

I'm not trying to be harsh or mean but if you didn't know why they loved selling puppies so much you do now. Have you researched where your store gets the puppies? I understand your the "fish guy" but you want to be well represented for future opportunities.

Oh ya, if you did get fired that's there loss. You now have a large amount of knowledge on how to run your privately owned store and keep care of a large quantity of fish! What's going to stop you from making your own shop and running them into the ground?

P.S. Dog rescue groups are a great place to get a family pet. Please support these groups in owning a cat or dog. They are not the breeders I speak of. These people are caring and even spend money out of there own pocket to help dogs find new homes. Also support your local breeders but be warry with whom you do buisness with. We've all heard the horror stories.

SchizotypalVamp

The REAL AC Mafia
Mar 18, 2008
California
Actually, if he gets fired it's a loss for new fishkeepers, because he'll be replaced by someone without the know, and starting your own buisness is much more expensive. Sometimes you have to pick your battles.

I'm not condoning this practice at all, I don't get how it's even legal, but it's better to do the good that you can than try to do more good and wind up doing no good at all.

And most new fishkeepers are more likely to trust petland than an independent LFS.

lymabean

They're after me lucky charms!
Dec 26, 2007
Long Island, New York
wow, what a project! I can't even think of all the work you must be doing, I had so uch trouble setting up a 30 gallon, you have like 100 ten gallons! How much are they paying you exactly??? btw i agree detroit metal that if you are going to get a dog, you might as well stop by a shelter or rescue group than spend 100 bucks on the same dog and encourage the stores to sell more which will eventually wind up in shelters too alot of the time... wtvr im rambling, worst comes to worst boa constricters aren't too expensive are they? Dog Problem Solved.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store