Jay's Planted 180g Tank.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

cockroach

AC Members
Feb 15, 2010
The Chungle Taiwan
Glad to see this one is up and running already. Looking great this far, excited to see the outcome.

JAY973

AC Members
Dec 24, 2005
NJ
Well I should have Cryptocoryne balansae and Cryptocoryne parva heading my way by the end of the week. The parva should take care of my foreground in front of the nana petite and to the right. The balansae will be the right rear corner which should take care of the 1/3 of the tank then it's back to the drawing board for the rear and left side of the tank. I think my wendtii will have a place once it get past the melting phase of being moved to the tank. I'm trying some Lace Java on the driftwood to help it blend in but we'll have to see how that goes.

I'm seeing some new growth but it's going really slow as the plants adapt to the new tank.

JAY973

AC Members
Dec 24, 2005
NJ
Well I decided to leap back into Discus keeping after 6+ yrs. I've been keeping up with the different strains intro. but nothing shocking lately. Anyway I decided on Snakeskins I wanted blues but got reds instead. I may change in the future if the opportunity presents itself to trade.

Well here they are in quarentine at least long enough where I think they're more likely to fend for themselves in a tetra community tank.
This one is the bully

This one has the nicest pattern

And this is just going to look awesome in the 180g

All to keep these guys company

My focus this go around will be to enjoy both flora and fauna but the Discus will be my primary focus. We'll see if will be worthy of display in the living rooom.....LOL

FallenAngel

AC Members
Sep 11, 2010
New Zealand
Real Name
Matt
Those discus are beautiful. Obviously you have found healthy stock and I'm sure it will look stunning in the 180g.
Let us know when you have updated your actual tank :).

FA.

ValorG

AC Members
Mar 10, 2011
NY
Real Name
Gideon
That is a gorgeous piece of wood...

*ahem* thats what she said.

And what is that gorgeous pink plant?! I must know what it is, and must own it.

Oh and jay, please bury the DW a bit, it looks so unnatural just laying on the surface like that.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Nice fish.

Last edited by a moderator:

JAY973

AC Members
Dec 24, 2005
NJ
Oh and jay, please bury the DW a bit, it looks so unnatural just laying on the surface like that.
The big pieces of diftwood are buried as far as they can go it has a base which you can't see to keep it up right. The smaller pieces in the front will be hidden once plants grow in and can be scaped.

Oh, and just a tip, make sure that you make hills with the gravel as the flatness looks un-natural :).
There is a slop/mound back right is about 4-5" down to about 2-3" in areas rolling front left. I'm using mineralized soil and I'm already going against recommendation by going that high. This is in it's infancy I'm only propagating plants it's far from scape ready but I have a few plants coming in tomorrow :cool-1:

Nice discus.
Thanks I hope to enjoy fish more in this scape than I did in my 120g. The scape in the 120g was high maintenance and I definately want to steer away from that.

Inka4040

O_o
Mar 31, 2008
Real Name
The Silver Slanket
Looking great! That much petite must have set you back a small fortune!

JAY973

AC Members
Dec 24, 2005
NJ
Looking great! That much petite must have set you back a small fortune!
LOL, definitely would've been but I've been slowly growing it myself over a couple years. I have to do some splitting to stimulate growth some of those bushes are really compact.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store