Welcome to AquariaCentral.com

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be entering into a wonderful world of aquatic information, for all aquarists, no matter what their experience level.

Our members will do their best to help you in your aquarium endeavors. We have a vast assortment of Forums to dive into:

-General Freshwater
-Marine and Brackish area
-Terrarium and Vivariums
-Coldwater
-DIY, Classifieds, Members Tanks Photographs and more.

We even have a general area, that is just as much fun as the rest of the Community, for off topic discussions and a real-time chat room for instant advice!

Joining Aquaria Central has numerous benefits, but the best, is our 112,000+ members, helping one another in this fascinating hobby!

Register now, and be sure to check out our scheduled contests with exciting prizes!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Welcome to the Internet's friendliest aquatic forum!

- Team AC

1. Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Jay's Planted 180g Tank.

Discussion in 'Planted Aquariums' started by JAY973, Mar 6, 2011.

1. Greggz

Greggz AC Members

Sep 8, 2017
    Hey Jay good to see an update. The tank looks beautiful as always. You have the largest Anubias hedge I have seen. Interesting that you cut down on the light. How long are you running the two lights? Did you rearrange them to the middle of the tank? Seems like the trouble might be good coverage front to back?

Any other side effects? Slower growth? Change fert dosing or co2 injection? Curious to hear more about it.

JAY973 likes this.
  2. wesleydnunder

wesleydnunder Discus Addict
    Staff Member

Mark
    Jul 12, 2017
    Mark
    Stunning as always, Jay. I'm gonna do a major thinning in my 125 this weekend and take plants and shrimp to the fish club meeting. I have GOT to get some petite nana for my tank.

Mark

JAY973 likes this.
  3. JAY973

JAY973 AC Members

May 2, 2017
    Thank you. Well I don't have highlight demanding plants in my tank any more the only exception would be light penetration for my foreground and although slower not terrible. The outside bank of lights are the ones on and they are staggered. The lights are on 7hrs a day. The bulbs have fancy reflectors I for get which but they have pretty good coverage even with just two lights. The difference remains the same whether run 2 or 4 bulbs is the intensity is high at the surface.

No ill side effects that I've noticed. I thought I would get some crypt melt because of the change but nothing. This is my 2nd month and other than less hair algae nothing crazy. Giant Hygrophila corymbosa is still a fast grower even though I didn't add ferts for like 3 weeks.

I haven't changed Co2 injection it still the same. I haven't been consistent with ferts here but have been doing my bi-weekly water changes.

I played around with the crypts on the left just to break up all the green but that's pretty much all of it just waiting out the foreground.

Thank you. I've got a 4 gallon pale half way full of A. nana petite I was planning to use for a 8 foot tank but it hasn't happen. So I've been too lazy to part with it and sell it on the usual forums. I just change the water in the pale every few weeks and it seems to be getting rid of algae... LOL

I hate trim the hedge because what left is a whole of rhizome and roots until it grows back in but in the video it just looks like a black hole. I'm almost temped to tear it apart and start over just to see the value of the A. nana petite at $5 a rhizome when broken to pieces...LOL

4. wesleydnunder

wesleydnunder Discus Addict
    Staff Member

Mark
    Jul 12, 2017
    Mark
    possibly several hundred to a thousand at the right auction

Mark

JAY973 likes this.
  5. ROYWS3

ROYWS3 AC Members

Roy
    Apr 29, 2017
    Roy
    As always, looks great Jay

JAY973 likes this.
  6. JAY973

JAY973 AC Members

May 2, 2017
    It's been a while decided to give the tank a new look for the new year being a little more fish friendly. Not sure on a foreground have to think about this one may try crypt parva again if I'm being spontaneous of the top of my head.

7. myswtsins

myswtsins AC Members

Jen
    Today at 4:13 AM
    Jen
    Camera Used:
    Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
    Yup, still amazing!! The amount of anubias you have is unreal and it looks like you got rid of some for the rescape and it's still SO much. Why do you use containers in the substrate?

JAY973 likes this.
  8. fishorama

fishorama AC Members

Today at 12:14 AM
    Looks awesome as always! I forget, what loachy/catfishy bottom feeders do you have in there? There's room for some & a carpet-y plant to get established before that.

I (unlike Jen, lol) get the plant pots to contain your over-happy crypts spreading (as we've discussed a few times).

Keep up the good aquascaping!

JAY973 likes this.
  9. JAY973

JAY973 AC Members

May 2, 2017
    Thank you. I have a love hate relationship with crypts keeping them in pots makes my life easier for maintenance like scaping tight groups, keeping them from becoming unruly (popping up all over the tank), using mineralizing soil just in the pots in an established tank, and sharing/selling.

Thank you. I have 11 Corydoras Sterbai and 4 duplicareus. I had to move the Long Fin BN out of the tank and just keep ottos because they plowing through and up rooting plants.

10. fishorama

fishorama AC Members

Today at 12:14 AM
    I hear you on the uprooting capabilities of BN. What is the smallish plant more or less dead center with the sword-like rounded leaves? It looks a bit unhappy, did you move them? Not trying to be critical, I just don't want to go through 37 pages & I'm curious.

What did you have before, I don't remember? Crypt parva spreads so slowly as do the "clovers" (marsilea). Dwarf hairgrass "Belem" is all the rage here, pretty & maybe a nice contrast, but I don't know just yet on maintenance (co2 soon for me to play with). Glosso can also look good with maybe less maintenance. Staurogyne, maybe not enough contrast/bigger leaves with all your a. petite. HC seems a pretty PITA to me, maybe HM too. Just brainstorming for my next tank incarnation, I'm sure you'll choose something cool & grow it well!

JAY973 likes this.