julidochromis ornate and neolamprologus multifaciatus

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

gordonw

AC Members
Nov 29, 2009
renton, wa
Also, is there more of a top dwelling tang species that would possibly fit in, or are the current 3 i want pushing it as is?

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
CYPRICHROMIS!!! :D

Seriously though, a group of 10-12 would look amazing. And I don't think it would be adding too much...the shellies will stick to their respective shell pits mainly and Julidochromis pretty much cling to the rock work IME. The Cyps are pretty close to exclusively living out in the open water.

I had escargot shells for my multis. No issues...

gordonw

AC Members
Nov 29, 2009
renton, wa
Awesome, gonna order some escargot shells then. The cyprichromis seem like awesome fish, aside from some being jumbo sized im reading, 7inch seems a little large. Do you know of a source for average sized cyprichromis? Also would anyone recommend an introduction list..if it matters what fish would be best to introduce first and last? The tank is not ready for fish yet but im workin on it

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
There are non-jumbo Cyps that only get to about 4-5". I'm not sure what the best vendors are but you see them quite a bit on aquabid.

I'm thinking you should introduce the shellies near the same time so you don't have individuals from one species colonizing the opposite shell pit. So that would also mean physically introducing them at the different ends. The Julidochromis could be next since they wont be competing for any space between the shell species. If you get the Cyps, they would probably be best last since they are sometimes a bit sensitive. It wouldn't be a bad thing to wait for your tank to become more established and stable before adding them.

gordonw

AC Members
Nov 29, 2009
renton, wa
Thanks Jpap, ive not seen shellies locally but ive seen a few different people on here selling them, as well as aquabid but i know there is someone somewhat local that has the ocellatus as i saw some up for auction a couple months ago at a COAST meeting, i just need to figure out who it was -- so the shelldwellers shouldnt be too difficult. Ive seen a couple different types of julidochromis between various fish stores also so those shouldnt be hard to get either. Cyps are the only ones of the bunch i dont see a lot of(though to be fair ive not been on the search for them at all until...well now i will be) so adding them later when everything is more established is quite fine with me. Im rather excited for this tank, ive loved the idea of a tanganyikan aquarium for a while but have yet to go through with it(considered multis for smaller tanks a couple times) and now im going to do it on a larger scale i think its going to look amazing.

f1sleepy

AC Members
Mar 25, 2012
Southern CA
Real Name
James
It's a little bit of a drive for you, but Pet Kingdom in San Diego currently has multis in stock. I was down there on Sunday and they had quite a few young, healthy looking fish.

gordonw

AC Members
Nov 29, 2009
renton, wa
Yeh, 90mins -ish.....though when im ready for them it may be a good option, providing they have them in stock at that time. Appreciate knowing a source F1, thanks

Pittbull

ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS
Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
Jpappy is right on with all was said, in my 120gal 5' footprint i have a nice size breeding colony of Multi's on the right side and in the middle i have a colony of breeding Julidochromis Dickfieldi with a few generations of Juvies also on the left side i have another colony of the Dickfieldi breeding, i have about 10 Altolamprologus Compressiceps 2" as for top i have a small group of Paracyprichromis Nigripinnis cyps..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store