keep the tank warm without heater?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

davescube

AC Members
Apr 7, 2008
Any suggestion on keeping the tank warm without heater?
Perhaps using certain material to coat the tank? will it work?

Debra Mark

Wench Boots!
Sep 29, 2004
Canada
Real Name
I'd tell you, but then I'd have to kill you.....
We've never had a heater in our big tank - the water going over the pump keeps it at a steady 80F.....but it's a 3hp pump, so it generates a lot of heat. It would probably be much easier to just use a heater....any reason why you are looking not to?

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Well, you could cover the back and sides with Styrofoam for insulation and use a hood, to help. Is this for long term or for an emergency?

FISHSHROD

FI double SH ROD
Aug 18, 2005
Pompano Beach,Fl.
Real Name
Mark
Why not just get a heater , that would probably be the easiest and best thing to do :idea:

ignavi

AC Members
Jun 17, 2008
I don't use heater either, the water is usually steady at 82~84 degrees centigrade. What fishes do you have? . 80 Degrees must be hot enough for must fishes ... or not :confused:?

Some light fixtures also might help to keep the tank a little warmer.

But if you want to keep the heat in your tank without using any heater, you could always buy "insulation film", they are really easy to install and will retain the heat of your tank, on the plus size maybe aesthetically pleasing. They sell several colors, brown, black, blue, platinum, transparent, etc. Check the colored orange home improvement stores:idea:.

Check the info of this product:

http://www.gilafilms.com/Residential/window-film-heat-light.htm

Good Luck

aquarob

I give up!
Jan 1, 2006
VHO lighting will heat the tank if it's close enough, but as others have said, I would just use a Visitherm Stealth. (Make sure you get the stealth, the regular ones are junk)

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Are you asking how to keep it warm, or how to warm it?? Insulating with foam is OK, assuming the water is already warm. How did it get warm??

If you do not, cannot, will not, use a heater you can always get some cooler water fish (white clouds, zebraa, paradise fish, ect.). Or you can keep your room temp at about 78.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store