keep the tank warm without heater?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

aquarob

I give up!
Jan 1, 2006
Just buy a heater or add hot water when doing water changes.
:headshake2: Don't add hot water directly to a tank, ever. Good way to kill fish. Temps have to be raised slowly, no more then 1 degree per hour.

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
:headshake2: Don't add hot water directly to a tank, ever. Good way to kill fish. Temps have to be raised slowly, no more then 1 degree per hour.
Agreed. Large temp changes will severely stress fish if not kill them.

davescube

AC Members
Apr 7, 2008
well, the tank will be in my bedroom which the air-con will be on in the night..
if i was to use heater, i've got turn it on when the aircon is on and the other way round..
that would be quite troublesome isnt it? and I also worry that the misuse of heater will boil my shrimp...
I cant tell you guys the temp in my place now as I dont have thermometer..
I'm in Singapore..

back to the question, It is for a long term, not emergency..

FISHSHROD

FI double SH ROD
Aug 18, 2005
Pompano Beach,Fl.
Real Name
Mark
Thats right :grinyes:

davescube

AC Members
Apr 7, 2008
Uhmm..
Lets say that my room temperature range from 18C - 24C
Can I set it to 20C ??

What happen If I set it to 17C or to 25C ?
I have so many confusion about heater...

Carla G

AC Members
Nov 17, 2007
NSW Australia
I'd keep white cloud mountain minnows, bitterlings and hillstream loaches in a tank located in an air-conditioned room.
Lupin, he said the room is only air conditioned at night. So no good for cool water fish. Singapore is HOT HOT HOT!!! Also explains why someone on the equator finds the concept of a heater confusing. :grinyes:

Davescube, most aquarium heaters have a thermostat. Set it for your ideal tank temperature, say 24 degrees C, then if the temperature in the tank falls below 24 degrees, the heater will kick in, raise the temperature to 24, then turn itself off.

Avoid cheap and nasty heaters. Sometimes they malfunction. And don't get a heater that is bigger than you need for the tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store