Khemul's 40B

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
:). I love my pistol shrimps doors. He also has a nice gazeebo going out back :).

Ballyhoo

AC Members
Jun 27, 2010
Fairfield, CA
:). I love my pistol shrimps doors. He also has a nice gazeebo going out back :).
Now I'm jealous lol....

Sent from my Droid using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Khemul

Sea Bunny
Oct 14, 2010
South Florida
:laugh:

I had briefly considered a pistol shrimp for the new tank. Hell, may even have one since something keeps digging tunnels on the right side (haven't heard a clicking but I did have a few of a local species in the 120). Not sure if the Clown Gobies would come into conflict with a pistol shrimp though. Always heard mixed on whether they could hurt small fish or not.

Probably finish off the tank with a Skunk Cleaner instead, but I was strongly considering a Tiger Pistol.

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
Candy cane a/k/a candy stripe a/k/a red stripe pistols are about as cool as they come. They stay small and are not aggressive unless threatened. Mine pops of a few rounds anytime a snail comes around the block. He literally shuts the front door every time the lights go out. Funniest thing ever! Tigers are a good choice as well but they get bigger.

Khemul

Sea Bunny
Oct 14, 2010
South Florida
Turns out I do have a pistol shrimp. :laugh: It has been living under the rock on the right side. Must have hitchhiked in. Unfortunately the blue varieties found in the wild here don't have much personality. Pretty sure they don't bond with gobies either. But it does seem to be less jumpy then it was in the 120 since I never hear the popping noise (which I'd hear all the time in the 120).

Interesting development today. Looked at the tank this morning and the black Clownfish kept chasing something.

So cute. So agile, since the Clown couldn't seem to catch any even though he kept trying.

Think I'm now severely over-stocked. :uhoh: Is 25 Mollies too much for a 40 gallon tank? :laugh:

Some random pictures...

Left side.

Right side. Slightly rearranged.

Moved the green Ricordea. Looks like it is moving into splitting form. Has grown a second foot, just needs a second mouth.

One of the more elusive tank inhabitants.

The Sleeper's door. :laugh:

No idea what the red things are. They made up the base of what was a Clove frag in the previous tank. They looks like tiny Feather Dusters, but the rock is literally made out of these things. When one generation dies the next generation grows over-top. Very fragile rock though.

The hermits are inseparable. Everywhere one goes the other is always nearby.

A recent addition. Was between a Porcelain and a Pom Pom, but the Pom Pom had lost his anemones and I wasn't sure how interesting it'd be without them so tried out the Porcelain.

Khemul

Sea Bunny
Oct 14, 2010
South Florida
Minor update...

Small rescape. Was very surprised how easy the left side went together. Like all the rocks had once been one to begin with. The right side has been a side since nothing seems to want to match up with the two base rocks.

Added a Skunk and two Peppermints. From my tests with Sargassum shrimp I found out the Lantern Bass will destroy anything under an inch in size with shrimp. As they neared an inch he continued to try but didn't have much success (the Clowns would chase shrimp below that size too so can't entirely blame him for the limitations). So I decided that any shrimp going in must be nearly full grown. All three are nearing the 2" mark. Which lead to a weird situation. The Lantern is very interested in the Skunk. But not in a food way. Couldn't care less about the Peppermints, but I constantly see them hanging out together. All three shrimp have claimed that rock as theirs. They refuse to leave it even if I move it.

Sometimes I hate blennies. :laugh: He nearly starved. In the old setup he always ate algae and wouldn't touch food. In the last couple weeks of that setup he started experimenting with flakes. Turns out he must have taken a liking since its the only thing he'll eat at the moment. And judging by the state I've been seeing him in lately he hasn't touched anything else since the move. But now that I know that I'll add some flakes in with the other foods for him.

The Ricordea rock.

Khemul

Sea Bunny
Oct 14, 2010
South Florida

Insanity. Well, most would probably consider it that. :laugh: 8 Kenya Trees. Only 3 of them are over a couple inches in size (obviously the parent in the middle). My plan is a little forest built around that rock. I have a 9th Kenya on the rock neighboring it that has a greenish tint to it. That'll be a long term project, but I plan to build another forest over there. Then most of the right side of the tank will be Kenya jungle and Sympodium.

Picked it up as a GSP, but pretty sure it is Sympodium. Or whatever they are currently labeling as Sympodium (when not mislabeling it GSP), since it may not technically be Sympodium (sometimes I hate figuring out accurate coral names... :laugh:).

The Toadstool. It's sulking a little after getting moved around, but seems to be perking back up.

The hermit couple. Still inseparable.

Future home of a Xenia garden. Still a work in progress, hence the rocks stacked on rocks. Xenia is a pain to get anchored down, not because it takes a long time [1-2 days] but because the polyps become sails until it does. A temporary rock wall surrounding the new clipping seems to help a lot. The pink Xenia will go on the right rock. Silver on the right rock.

The silver Xenia group so far. At least it'd look silver if the seem on the glass top weren't interacting with the lights and turning the whole front of the tank blue :laugh:

Khemul

Sea Bunny
Oct 14, 2010
South Florida
Server isn't liking me today. Think I got everything in there, but had to break it up and editing it isn't fun...

Removed the black Short-Fin Mollies since they were getting too aggressive. Tried to add some orange Short-Fins (really like the lyre-tail shape on the short fins) but they didn't handle acclimation very well. Gonna just keep a couple females from the babies when they grow up to finish out the molly group. The babies whittled down to 8, but seem to be holding steady there and doing well. They still have months before they can leave the box though (tried it with #9...either the Lantern or one of the Clowns got a nice snack :irked:).

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
What was your male to female molly ratio? IME 2-3 females per male will lessen aggression, they may still harass each other but they wont bother other species of fish.

Ric's are looking nice, just scored a nice light green one today thats in the middle of a split for the price of one.

Khemul

Sea Bunny
Oct 14, 2010
South Florida
What was your male to female molly ratio? IME 2-3 females per male will lessen aggression, they may still harass each other but they wont bother other species of fish.

Ric's are looking nice, just scored a nice light green one today thats in the middle of a split for the price of one.
Was originally 5:3 female/male but the dalmations were all female. When they didn't make it that shifted to 2:3. Yeah, the black shortfin male got very aggressive then. Not towards other fish (because even an aggressive molly is a wimp compared to a clown :laugh:) but he did turn all the orange lyretail into normal tailed mollies. :screwy: Now it is 1:2 with just the oranges, but they show no aggression so it'll do for now. Yeah, that is why I'm planning to only keep females from the babies. Need more females. Its a trend around here. 1 male dog, 3 females. 1 male rat, 4 females (long story). 2 female cats. 3 female humans, 1 male. We're use to keeping the feale/male ratio high around here... :laugh:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store