Long time away from aquariums, coming back with planted.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
I'm fairly sure that anything growing submerged will not produce seed... it's only anything that will emerge or grow emersed that will create them.

personally, I'd rather use plants that were grown in-vitro rather than try to grow something from seed... but that's just me.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
I want to try tissue culturing plants myself in the summer.

Perchance I might be a little mad. :)

bren

AC Members
Jul 31, 2006
Upstate, NY
This summer I will probably try some from seed just to see what happens. Won't be the first seeds I've ruined lol.
I was hoping to get some plants from the woman I found locally but have gotten myself side tracked. Hopefully soon I'll get some.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
Perchance you are, dougall, lol, & maybe a bit Skakespearean?
I am English.... That's how we all talk!

This summer I will probably try some from seed just to see what happens. Won't be the first seeds I've ruined lol.
I was hoping to get some plants from the woman I found locally but have gotten myself side tracked. Hopefully soon I'll get some.
I would say that the easiest way to start the seeds would be emersed rather than submerged, until they have a decent root system... if it's an established aquarium then consider starting the seeds in a tray or something and then plant once they have grown... Mostly because of available CO2 and the seeds not becoming fish/invert food

bren

AC Members
Jul 31, 2006
Upstate, NY
That's exactly how I though I'd start them. We have a bunch of trays for starting garden seeds that will work. And a small greenhouse.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Oooh, a greenhouse, how nice! I need some basil & grape tomato seedlings please!

Even if you don't get aquatic plant seeds to work, emersed plant growth is often faster than submersed, I "hear". I'm just starting a Wabi Kusa experiment. A "mud ball" of aqua soil, potting soil & "special" clay to grow aquatic plants emersed, kinda like a terrarium. I'll see how that goes...I'm trying (from cuttings) dwarf baby tears, a couple crypts, dwarf hair grass & pogostemon erectus IFAIR. so far so good!

Last edited:
Reactions: bren

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
Oooh, a greenhouse, how nice! I need some basil & grape tomato seedlings please!

Even if you don't get aquatic plant seeds to work, emersed plant growth is often faster than submersed, I "hear". I'm just starting a Wabi Kusa experiment. A "mud ball" of aqua soil, potting soil & "special" clay to grow aquatic plants emersed, kinda like a terrarium. I'll see how that goes...I'm trying (from cuttings) dwarf baby tears, a couple crypts, dwarf hair grass & pogostemon erectus IFAIR. so far so good!
You may see me if you look at the video of the Wabi Kusa workshop from the AGA last year ;)

PlantedWetLife

AC Members
Aug 28, 2009
Saskatchewan, Canada
The zombie apocolypse dream of all fishkeepers is for a high-tech aquaponic system growing vegetables herbs and cannabis off your fish 'waste'. There will be no wasteful waterchanges just plant fertilizer...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store