Music from my generation

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
Apr 2, 2002
New York
No, Motown is not where Mariano Rivera lives.

No, Motown is not the birthplace of one of The 3 Stooges.

No, Motown is not a clever name for a lawnmower shop.

Motown, founded in Jan. 1959 was the source of some amazing artists and music. It still exists today. But its first decade or two were really amazing.

from Wiki: "I Heard It Through the Grapevine" is a song written by Norman Whitfield and Barrett Strong for Motown Records in 1966. The first recording of the song to be released was produced by Whitfield for Gladys Knight & the Pips and released as a single in September 1967; it went to number two in the Billboard chart.....
The Marvin G a ye version was placed on his 1968 album In the Groove, where it gained the attention of radio disc jockeys, and Motown founder Berry Gordy finally agreed to its release as a single in October 1968, when it went to the top of the Billboard Pop Singles chart for seven weeks from December 1968 to January 1969 and became for a time the biggest hit single on the Motown label (Tamla)."
(Pardon the respacing above on Marvin's last name. The Site censor thinks it should be blanked out without the spaces.)

Reactions: dudley
Apr 2, 2002
New York
One of the womders of YouTube is that the truly curious music nut can find multiple version of the same song. Sometimes there is only the audio because ther was no film or video way back when. A lot of music came to people over the radio. Here is an interesting example of that. O f course I am going to lean on WIKI:

"Everybody Needs Somebody to Love" is a song written by Bert Berns, Solomon Burke and Jerry Wexler, and originally recorded by Solomon Burke under the production of Bert Berns at Atlantic Records in 1964. Burke's version charted in 1964, but missed the US top 40, peaking at number 58.
Wilson Pickett covered the song in 1966, and his version (which explicitly mentions Solomon Burke in the opening section) made it to #29 pop, and #19 R&B in early 1967. Other notable versions of "Everybody Needs Somebody to Love" were recorded by The Rolling Stones and The Blues Brothers.
Solomon Burke

Wilson Pickett

The Blues Brothers

I was not impressed by the Stones versionsI I could find, and then I stumbled onto this

Apr 2, 2002
New York
Liitle Feat, one of my all time favorite bands, does a little ditty that goes like this,
"Hey Lordy... (join the band, be good rascal...)
Hey join the band, be good rascal and join the band
Hey Lordy... "

Well if we can't join the Band, then maybe The Band can join us;

Apr 2, 2002
New York
Music can also be also history. So let me start with more from Wiki:

Woodrow Wilson Guthrie (/ˈɡʌθri/; July 14, 1912 – October 3, 1967) was an American singer-songwriter, one of the most significant figures in American folk music; his music, including songs, such as "This Land Is Your Land", has inspired several generations both politically and musically.[1][2][3] He wrote hundreds of political, folk, and children's songs, along with ballads and improvised works. His album of songs about the Dust Bowl period, Dust Bowl Ballads, is included on Mojo magazine's list of 100 Records That Changed The World.[4] Many of his recorded songs are archived in the Library of Congress.[5] Songwriters such as Bob Dylan, Phil Ochs, Johnny Cash, Bruce Springsteen, Robert Hunter, Harry Chapin, John Mellencamp, Pete Seeger, Andy Irvine, Joe Strummer, Billy Bragg, Jerry Garcia, Jay Farrar, Bob Weir, Jeff Tweedy, Bob Childers, Sammy Walker, Tom Paxton, AJJ, Brian Fallon, and Sixto Rodríguez have acknowledged Guthrie as a major influence. He frequently performed with the slogan "This machine kills fascists" displayed on his guitar. .....

Guthrie was married three times and fathered eight children. His son Arlo Guthrie became nationally known as a musician. Guthrie died in 1967 from complications of Huntington's disease. His first two daughters also died of the disease. During his later years, in spite of his illness, Guthrie served as a figurehead in the folk movement, providing inspiration to a generation of new folk musicians, including mentoring Ramblin' Jack Elliott and Bob Dylan.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woody_Guthrie

Woody predates me, but his songs are well know, especially this one. I chose an original recording with all the noise that brings along with it. But that is the real history not a digitally enhanced version of life.

While Woody was an "activist", he still had a sense of humor.

And then there is is son Arlo

Apr 2, 2002
New York
Sometimes music can be amusing as well as good.

You all must know Chuck Berry. the gut who wrote and performed Johnny b Goode

Sorry about the quality, but its the one where Tom Hanks is in the front row, 4th from the left. He was a big fan of the creators of the song.

Apr 2, 2002
New York
Did you know that Eric Claptom's nickname, Slow Hand, came from his days playing with the Yardbirds from Oct 1963 through March 1965.
Yardbirds' rhythm guitarist, Chris Dreja, recalled that whenever Clapton broke a guitar string during a concert, he would stay on stage and replace it. The English audiences would wait out the delay by doing what is called a "slow handclap". Clapton's nickname of "Slowhand" came from Giorgio Gomelsky, a pun on the slow handclapping that ensued when Clapton stopped playing while he replaced a string.
from wiki

I never paid much attention to who was in the Yardbirds, but I did take notice of Cream. One reason was the introduction to Cream coincided with my introduction to psychadelics. Their first album, Fresh Cream, was released in December 9, 1966 in the UK and a slightly different version came out in the U.S. in January 1967. Both the UK and U.S.albums were released in both mono and stereo versions.

Reactions: dudley
Apr 2, 2002
New York
I am a sucker for almost any bottleneck, aka slide, guitar. So it is easy to understand why I am a big fan of Ry Cooder. He made a full length music movie in 1987 which I really like but which he did not and refused to allow its release in the USA. Two of the songs below are from that film. One is pretty long.

This was from his 1987 Album of the same name. The song was written by Johnny Cash.

One of my fav tunes from the film.

This is where you get to hear every band member step out for a few bars. The Moulan Rythm Aces sure can sing.

Apr 2, 2002
New York
Gotta go with more slide. One of my all time favorite bands Is Little Feat with Lowell George (RIP) as lead guitarists and founding member. This tune I now consider to be my theme song. This version is from their live album, "Waiting for Columbus." This album kept me sane during the 18 months I worked in Saudi Arabia in the late 1970s.

This is one of their signature tunes also from the "Waiting for Columbus" album.

Lowell left the band and made a solo album shortly before he died.

Apr 2, 2002
New York
More slide, but I would hate to give the impression that this is only a man's game. I fist saw this performer at the Shaboo Inn In Wilimantic, CT.

Despite his tender years, Foster and his partners soon turned the old roadhouse into one of the premier music clubs in the Northeast, hosting nearly 3,000 concerts during the Shaboo's 11-year history, including shows by AC/DC, Cheap Trick, Journey, Bonnie Raitt, Tom Petty (opening for NRBQ), Freddie King, Buddy Rich, Dire Straits and countless others.
From the Hartford Courant August 12, 2012

From 1970

She wrote this tune which was released in 1991.

Here she is is with one oh the blues greats from his album released in 1989.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store