My 20 gallon setup

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

zzyzx85

the casual hobbyist
Dec 3, 2007
OC, CA
My java ferns are bit thinner now. I read that BlogSpot algae identification blog and there was an entry on staghorn algae on java fern. I checked and, low and behold, I have the same thing. So I took the scissors to the older leaves that were infested with staghorn and it's a lot thinner now.

zzyzx85

the casual hobbyist
Dec 3, 2007
OC, CA
updated, again

Got a black background. It does look nicer with a solid background. But now I really have to keep that back glass clean.

Also need to hide that heater somewhere. Frickin' house gets so cold at night I need to add that small heater to make up for the heat loss.

Oliver (Ollie) watching "fish tv"

"I just wanna taste!"

Peppered corys munching away:

one of the Bronze(?) corys:

red-eye tetras:

Are these red-eye balloon tetras or just red-eye tetras? I've seen what were labeled as red-eye tetras at stores that look much narrower.

ghost shrimp:

Also got a new filter to make up for the undersized one. Trying to polish up the water along with getting some real circulation going, which will hopefully solve the algae problem. AC 50 filter so I've got the foam on the bottom, polyfil in the middle, and the biomax up top. I'm tired of all the little specks of "dust" floating around.

The whole day, I was camped out with a chair in front of my tank and I only saw one shrimp. I know there were 3 left after I scooped out the 2 that died. Either the other two are really good at hiding in the driftwood and have plenty of food or they've been eaten.

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
Are these red-eye balloon tetras or just red-eye tetras? I've seen what were labeled as red-eye tetras at stores that look much narrower.
Balloon red-eye tetras.

zzyzx85

the casual hobbyist
Dec 3, 2007
OC, CA
ah so. Knew they weren't "normal" red-eyes. I like these guys better. Look like mini-piranhas and act a little like them as well when it's feeding time. Do "balloon" variants just happen or are they bred that way? I noticed balloon mollies as well.

New filter is making a lot of circulation, even when I turn it all the way down. Fish seem to be enjoying it, especially the tetras.

Pictures too big? I'll cut them down to 800x600 the next time I put up a new set.

Any new suggestions?

~Kswords~

AC Members
Jun 28, 2007
USA
Love your tank! I may have to steal your setup idea!! haha j/k!!!

zzyzx85

the casual hobbyist
Dec 3, 2007
OC, CA
Thank you! I haven't done much to the tank as of late. It's still humming away happily. The last ghost shrimp disappeared. I guess I'll have to call it a loss. It molted and disappeared about a week after it molted. Guess the tetras got hungry. I seem to have a handle on the algae growing in my moss but only because I've been manually removing it. But I think I just might have to cut back on the light (to 4-5 hours from 7 hours) again to really keep it at bay. Looking back, my moss has really grown.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store