My 30 gallon N.American darter tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Bart G

AC Members
Jan 15, 2010
Cool, what kind do you like/have/had?

I currently have

1 tessellated
1 swamp
1 greenside

I hope to catch a few when I make a collecting trip to VA in a few weeks. Down there I hope to find and keep some of these

roanoke darter
rainbow darter
glassy darter
fantail darter
shield darter
stripeback darter
longfin darter

and also mountain redbelly dace that will go into another tank. Those things are gorgeous.

Bart G

AC Members
Jan 15, 2010
I love rainbows! They have great personalities and they maintain vibrant colors better than most other darters. They seem very curious and take to captivity very quickly compared to most other fishes. I'm very excited to get one or maybe 2!

Bart G

AC Members
Jan 15, 2010
It never ceases to amaze me that they aren't more popular. Granted, they need frozen food, but for such a small fish they are incredibly smart and entertaining. I think if there was more video of them, people would want them. Same for mudminnows. What a crappy name. I like pygmy pike.

vampie

AC Members
Oct 25, 2006
New York, NY
I like darters.. I like to think of them as sort a native, coldwater version of the goby, though the two aren't really related.

I think they aren't more popular because of availability.. only so many of us can go out and catch our own, and there are very few native fish dealers it would seem.

Bart G

AC Members
Jan 15, 2010
Yeah. It's interesting to me how we can bring fish in from all over the world but keeping something that is local can be strictly verboten. I think keeping and understanding native fish helps to get people to give a $hit about local water ecology. There are a few native dealers out there but you are right, not any. I heard rainbow darters are popular in Europe. WTF!

calivivarium1

Finished the fight
May 5, 2008
Fresno, California
I have what was given to me as a banded darter in a loach tank. He is kinda drab in color but makes up for it in personality. I agree, great little fish.

Bart G

AC Members
Jan 15, 2010
Tested the water and things are looking pretty good. I'm probably gonna dump the darters I have in this week and take some pics. Growing moss has really taught me the virtues of patience.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store