My 30 gallon N.American darter tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Bart G

AC Members
Jan 15, 2010
Thanks!

Yes, we were in north western VA.

I think if more people knew about them, they would be way more popular plus catching your own fish is really fun.

I would say cool water as opposed to cold water. They can tolerate temps well into the 70's if the have lots of oxygenation. While most darters require cooler water than tropicals and they typically need frozen foods, they are amazing animals to watch. I should put some video up to show how funny they are. They remind me of little lizards.

I would reccomend checking out www.nanfa.org

The north american native fish association. This site got me interested in natives. Tons of info on the that forum. I would recommend going into the archives and reading the old stuff as well as the new.

Meddling Kid

AC Members
Jun 3, 2010
This is awsome. I just collected quite a few rainbow darters from Central Arkansas about a week ago, and it inspired me to set up my 75 gallon for native species = ) Got some absolutely beautiful longear sunfish as well from the same creek. Looked very similar to the one your were collecting in, although a few states over haha. I LOVE your setup. I wish I had some moss = \

Bart G

AC Members
Jan 15, 2010
So here is an updated shot. The moss wall sections were a total failure. I ended up hanging piece of wood from the back to cover up where the moss walls were. The rest of the moss grew like gangbusters. I recently moved the tank from the basement to my studio. It's looking pretty barren these days while the moss adjusts and starts to grow back in since I pulled so much of it out. I rescaped a bit to create more swimming room for my dace and shiners. In a month or so this tank should be looking quite lush again. I'm trying to stay on top of the moss this time by trimming it back every now again. I'm hoping this will result in denser, less stringy growth. I'm thinking about adding java fern too. I feel like it needs some more variety in plant texture and shape.

The current stock list is as follows

2 male rainbow darters
2 fantail darters
1 roanoke darter

2 rosyside dace
1 rosefin shiner

I'm hoping to get out soon and collect a few more dace and hopefully some banded darters from the Susquehanna river. A friend in Virginia is gonna send a few more rosefin shiners and darters if he can get out to collect too.

gar man

cookies!!!
Dec 31, 2008
council bluffs,IA
Looks like a pretty sweet set-up! If you dont mind me asking what do you feed the darters? I have a 38 and a 30 sitting empty that my parents are trying to sell but havn't at all been sucessful (Lol :)) and I might set them up soon if I can talk my mom into it. And I'm thinking of getting darters.

Bart G

AC Members
Jan 15, 2010
Looks like a pretty sweet set-up! If you dont mind me asking what do you feed the darters? I have a 38 and a 30 sitting empty that my parents are trying to sell but havn't at all been sucessful (Lol :)) and I might set them up soon if I can talk my mom into it. And I'm thinking of getting darters.
Thanks! If you want my advice, you should TOTALLY get some darters. They are wonderfully entertaining.

I feed mine the following frozen foods:

Bloodworms(red mosquito larva)
brine shrimp
white worms(white mosquito larva)
mysis shrimp
plankton

they don't much seem to care for frozen beefheart, krill, or tubifex worms.

I thaw what I want to feed in a small strainer and them dump in a cup of water. I then suck it up and blast it at my darters with turkey baster. I keep my darters with N.A. minnow species and keeping the minnows from getting all the food can be tricky. Hope this helps.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store