My 55g tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Vincenia

AC Members
Dec 11, 2011
Blairstown, New Jersey
darkredtigr.deviantart.com
Real Name
Kayla
Camera Used
IPhone 12 Pro Max
I gotten this tank about 7 months ago now. Currently it's now fully stocked, maybe a bit over. Looking to replace my 2 AC filters with one AC 110 filter. Also replacing the dual lights with a single LED Light strip and replace the two heaters with one. This tank replaced the 2 20g I had set up. It's lightly plants right now, but looking into getting more plants including Jungle Val and Swords. Maybe some hair grass as well. Still debating. I'll post photos later, just been busy.

Here's the stock:
15 Tetras (Black Neons and Glow lights)
5 SA Bumblebee Catfish
6 Albino Corys
1 Koi Angel
7 male mixed mollys
7 female mixed molly
1 Bulldog Pleco

It's bit over stocked I know.

Reactions: Phoenixjoni

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
I need pictures or I can't understand what I'm reading! :)

Sounds like a lot of replace 2 with 1. Why? 2 is usually better than 1 for backup and redundancy. 2 filters is especially useful cause you can clean one at a time leaving the bacteria perfectly fine in the other one, more media to steal for a QT or hospital tank or just take a whole filter even etc. Being overstocked I'd say you should get a AC110 and keep one of your smaller filters too. A lot of people use 2 appropriately sized heaters as a fail safe too.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
I had two AC70s running on my 55g, until I got another 55g and swapped one over to it. 2 of them was too much turbulence for a planted 55g. Fine if not planted.

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
I had two AC70s running on my 55g, until I got another 55g and swapped one over to it. 2 of them was too much turbulence for a planted 55g. Fine if not planted.
Really? Hmm. I've never found that to be a problem. I had 2 rena XP3s (total of 700 gph) on my 72 planted. Actually I always aim for a 10x turnover rate in my planted tanks. The difference could be due to the nature of returning water though. Spraybars disperse the water quite differently than a HOB. Another reason I prefer canisters (more control of water flow).

So maybe Kayla should stick with the AC 50 & 70?

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
I think your set up is fine with an AC70 and an AC110 together.

PS--I do not think you are over stocked, but I would bring the water higher.

Reactions: Amicus and lamar

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
How am I not over stocked?
Why do you think you are over stocked?
BIO load wise, my 100gal has more then twice you stock. It has been running like this for years. My Cardinals are almost 8yrs (if I can remember when I bought them).

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store