My angels

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Lalo J.

AC Members
Mar 8, 2020
México
Hello fishorama, it's good to greet you again. Thanks, it also seems to me that this red koi is female, although if I remember correctly I have only had two males since I started buying freshwater fish again. We have to wait to determine the sex of my red cap and little halfblack.

Reactions: Sprinkle

jake72

AC Members
Jan 28, 2019
The head is not a reliable indicator. I have several females with large 'bumps' than males. I will note with my group that the males tend to be substantially larger and a bit flatter but i'm not 100% sure that is reliable. I can sort of tell the sex just by looking at my group BUT when you look at different line of bred angels it gets harder because some of the 'weird' breeding impact the angels shape.

Females have flat kind of heads, males have them bumpy. There is also ovipositor (hopefully spelt correctly). Google would be best friend for now ;)

Reactions: Wyomingite

Lalo J.

AC Members
Mar 8, 2020
México
The head is not a reliable indicator. I have several females with large 'bumps' than males. I will note with my group that the males tend to be substantially larger and a bit flatter but i'm not 100% sure that is reliable. I can sort of tell the sex just by looking at my group BUT when you look at different line of bred angels it gets harder because some of the 'weird' breeding impact the angels shape.
I agree, I had a male koi angel but it didn't have any male traits. It was a couple of my female marble angel, and they have been the only fry I have had.

Sprinkle

AC Members
Mar 21, 2020
UK
And i also mentioned the ovipositor. Thank you.

jake72

AC Members
Jan 28, 2019
It is not easy. A fellow who has been breeding angels for years identify a photo of an angel as a male. Two days it was laying eggs (it was another fish forum). Angels are one f those fishes that are just not easy to identify. I can identify mine because i've had several sets of frys from them and i've recognized a pattern for the adult frys but as i noted above angels with different genetics will develop different traits (body shape, size, ...) so it is unreliable for me to look at a different strain and sex them. I can make an educated guess but the surest way is to wait till they try to breed ;)

Never had them and not interested to have them for now. I dont have large enough tank.
But so i dont know. Thank you.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store