My aquarist rant

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

wesleydnunder

Discus Addict
Dec 11, 2005
Gulf Coast Texas
Real Name
Mark
Ok back to the rant:

"Water changes were performed in the same way as the bowls, just not as frequently. We didn't need frequent cleaning. We had a filter; a little plastic box filled with floss that sat in the corner and bubbled. When the layer of black gunk resting atop and within the multicolored gravel got too thick, I'd dip a couple cups of water into one of mom's Tupperware bowls, net the fish out (that's right, I had my own net now) and syphon all the water out into the yard. This was followed by the removal of all gravel and tank decorations. Tank and accoutrements were scrubbed clean and new floss replaced the black floss in the filter. The tank was refilled with fresh water and the conscientious addition of dechlorinator drops. The fish were returned to their sparkling clean home. Deaths inevitably followed."

In post # 28 I described how I was doing water changes in my 20 gallon. This was the wrong way to do things for at least two reasons. The first was the fact that it caused a complete reset of the tank and killed all beneficial bacteria, so the tank had to go through a cycle full of fish. The fish were subjected to ever-increasing amounts of ammonia and nitrite until lethal levels were eventually reached.

The second reason was osmotic shock from something called OTS (old tank syndrome). This is a condition that usually happened to older, poorly maintained aquaria. At that time I was doing the tank resets every 4, 5 maybe 6 months; whenever the clouds of disturbed detritus took too long to settle or mom threatened to throw the whole thing out by the street. During those 4,5 or 6 months I just did top-offs; a pitcher or two of water with a few drops of dechlorinator added. A week later I'd top off again. This succession of water additions to offset evaporation caused the total dissolved solids (TDS) in the tank to gradually increase. By water change time the TDS in the tank was probably 3 or 4 times the TDS of the source water. OK, why does this matter?

It has to do with something called osmoregulation; ahs mo reg yoo lay' shun. This is the mechanism by which fish maintain homeostasis in their environment...another $25 word; ho mee o stay' sis.

Last edited:

wesleydnunder

Discus Addict
Dec 11, 2005
Gulf Coast Texas
Real Name
Mark
Homeostasis is the balance of water and salts in a fish's body. Osmoregulation is the way fish keep that balance. In a freshwater fish, its blood is much higher in salts than the water surrounding it. Nature wants to strike a balance. So osmosis causes water to move from a solution of lower concentrated salts (the water the fish lives in) to dilute the solution of higher concentration (the blood). This means the fish's body is constantly being flooded by water through its skin and gills. Meanwhile, diffusion is trying to pull salts out of the fish's body toward the solution of lower concentration. To combat this, freshwater fish drink very little water, they don't need to, and they urinate very dilute urine...a lot of it. Their gills pull salts from the water and they have an organ which scavenges salt so it isn't lost in urine.

So, for a given species from a given water source, it's body and kidney are adapted to expel enough water to maintain balance.

In a saltwater fish the process is opposite. The water is saltier than the blood so osmosis tries to pull water out of the body while diffusion tries to push salt in. They drink large amounts of water and urinate a small amount of very concentrated urine. This is a gross simplification of how fish osmoregulate and doesn't apply to all species. Some fish, like certain coastal killies, flounder and estuarine species can adapt to move from full fresh to full marine and back.

So how does this tie in with the way I was doing water changes and why I shouldn't be doing them that way? Well, as I kept adding top-off water and it kept evaporating, it was leaving the solids behind and the TDS of the water was steadily increasing, slowly. Gradually, as TDS increased, the difference in TDS between the fish's body and the water was decreasing; osmosis wasn't pushing as much water in so the kidneys weren't needing to expel as much. By water change time the difference in TDS was reduced significantly; so significantly, in fact that when 100% of the water was replaced, at a greatly reduced TDS, the amount of water that the fish were able to expel was much lower and when they were suddenly immersed in an extremely lowered TDS it shocked them. Water flooded their bodies and those whose organs couldn't keep up, bloated and died.

I didn't know this at the time. I just thought fish didn't have very long life spans.

biondoa

AC Members
Feb 6, 2015
NC
Real Name
Alison
I understand that by only topping off evaporated water, solids (TDS) are left behind. That is why we do weekly water changes. Am I missing something here? I feel like you are saying something more.

NeonFlux

Water agent
Oct 16, 2005
Los Angeles, California
Real Name
William
A lot of minerals hang around too. ;)

wesleydnunder

Discus Addict
Dec 11, 2005
Gulf Coast Texas
Real Name
Mark
I understand that by only topping off evaporated water, solids (TDS) are left behind. That is why we do weekly water changes. Am I missing something here? I feel like you are saying something more.
Just that large, sudden changes in tds can be lethal to fish. The primer in osmoregulation was to describe how and why that can happen.

Mark

biondoa

AC Members
Feb 6, 2015
NC
Real Name
Alison
So Mark, if we keep up our water changes on at least a weekly basis, we are not exposing the fish to sudden large changes in TDS. That seems logical. By taking out some old water we are also removing solids. By simply replacing evaporated water we are leaving solids behind in the tank.
So I think what you are saying is that water changes done frequently will protect the fish from sudden, large changes in TDS. Isn't that what we are all doing, with the exception of some folks who are new to the hobby, and don't ask questions before they get started?

Reactions: Mondaygirl

wesleydnunder

Discus Addict
Dec 11, 2005
Gulf Coast Texas
Real Name
Mark
So Mark, if we keep up our water changes on at least a weekly basis, we are not exposing the fish to sudden large changes in TDS. That seems logical. By taking out some old water we are also removing solids. By simply replacing evaporated water we are leaving solids behind in the tank.
So I think what you are saying is that water changes done frequently will protect the fish from sudden, large changes in TDS. Isn't that what we are all doing, with the exception of some folks who are new to the hobby, and don't ask questions before they get started?
Yep, you got it. The more often we do water changes the closer our tank water and source water are in tds.

Mark

Duckie

AC Members
Mar 14, 2015
Yep, you got it. The more often we do water changes the closer our tank water and source water are in tds.

Mark
So daily would be better than weekly? I can see just carrying a gallon pitcher every day added to the feeding ritual. Then it is less work on the weekend for a little gravel vac.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store