my black shark keeps attackin my betta

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lady Ns

Critter Crazy
Sep 27, 2007
Australia
Real Name
Phae
They won't get any larger than what they are. Not all fish will out grow the tanks they're put in, most only grow as big as their habitat will let them. We've nearly always kept large fish and never had one out grow it's tank. Our tank is not over stocked and there is still alot of room left in it. Like I've said already, they have plenty of room, they get enough food and it's kept clean and free of disease.
The majority of fish species will only grow as big as their habitat and the fish we have right now, we've done extensive research on, in our 185gal/700L tank.

We would keep smaller fish like small barbs, guppies, mollies, swordtails, etc in our tank, but we've always had problems with them. Barbs rip into other fish and each other, mollies get eaten alive while they give birth, swordtails don't stop breeding, same with guppies, etc... We have tried smaller fish in that tank, just was not the best time we had. We did start out with those fish and the tank has merely "evolved" into what it is. The Jack Dempsey and Electric Blue were actually mistaken to be small types of cichlid, as they were labelled wrong in one of our lfs. As they matured we fiugred out for sure what they were.

I will admit though, I'd like to keep some good mollies and platties in that tank again, along with another couple Congo Tetras, but I really doubt anyone wants to buy the fish we have right now and we've become really attached to them anyways. They're another part of the family. Keep in mind, even though you might think we've overstocked, we don't think we have. We know the dietry needs of each and every single fish species in that tank and take special care of it in general.

Pufferpunk

AC Members
Mar 22, 2002
Chicago
www.thepufferforum.com
Real Name
Jeni
You have a 2' clown loach? Could you please post the dimentions of your tank, so we can figure out how big it really is?

elementkid65

gill-less
Jul 3, 2007
where ever i am
our tanks bigger than yours and we hav less fish in it and were over stocking?
you really dont know anything do you
having a bigger tank doesn't neccesarily mean you are better at keeping fish
secondly your fish are much bigger than neon tetras of his for instance.

btw where abputs in aussie are you? are you in qld?

gatotsu77

AC Members
May 17, 2006

elementkid65

gill-less
Jul 3, 2007
where ever i am
by the way

You provided measurements in inches:
Width: 62" (157.48cm)
Height: 18" (45.72cm)
Depth: 20" (50.8cm)
Your tank's volume is approximately 22320 cubic inches or 96.62 U.S. gallons, which is approximately 375.86 liters

that tank is too small for all the inhabitents not only that are incompatible.

the electric blue is an african cichlid not to be mixed with gouramis or any community fish not even kribenesis. the eel tail catfish when big enough could eat almost all of those fish whole. not to mention it gets too big for such a small tank.

the 2 foot clown loach in that tank supposably cant turn around if 24" long (a foot) in your 18" width. so thats tupid to begin with

as well as that. for such a new member to the aquaria central "call me elmo" you sound like you dont know anything much at all.

you shouln't be rude to some one with probably much more experience than you. not just that but say they don't know anything.

Lady ns as your sister sounds to be a bit more knowldgeable anyway.

not to mention you sound like your 7 years old.

edit: you bet me to it

Last edited:

gatotsu77

AC Members
May 17, 2006
the 2 foot clown loach in that tank supposably cant turn around if 24" long (a foot) in your 18" width. so thats tupid to begin with
I sincerely doubt that the intention in that post was to say 2 feet, but rather, 2 inches. Its rare to see clowns above 18" in captivity... so even if the tank were 300 gallons, I somewhat doubt the clown would have grown to such a size.

by the way

You provided measurements in inches:
Width: 62" (157.48cm)
Height: 18" (45.72cm)
Depth: 20" (50.8cm)
Your tank's volume is approximately 22320 cubic inches or 96.62 U.S. gallons, which is approximately 375.86 liters

edit: you bet me to it
Hahaha... yeah, just barely. :p I didn't do all the metric conversions though, so you went the extra mile. :)

elementkid65

gill-less
Jul 3, 2007
where ever i am
I sincerely doubt that the intention in that post was to say 2 feet, but rather, 2 inches. Its rare to see clowns above 18" in captivity... so even if the tank were 300 gallons, I somewhat doubt the clown would have grown to such a size.

Hahaha... yeah, just barely. :p I didn't do all the metric conversions though, so you went the extra mile. :)
maybe they dont know how long a foot is exactly.
as the tank estimate was a little *cough* off

i didnt really think of the maximum size of them,

too busy and caught up in thinking of how silly a 24" clown loach sounds in a 18" width tank

edit: 18" not 20"

gatotsu77

AC Members
May 17, 2006
maybe they dont know how long a foot is exactly.
as the tank estimate was a little *cough* off

i didnt really think of the maximum size of them,

too busy and caught up in thinking of how silly a 24" clown loach sounds in a 18" width tank

edit: 18" not 20"

I imagine a clown that size with so little room to turn would feel the same as the goldfish my gf's room mate keeps. Here's the details on that one:

As for the new thread to come, my gf is inheriting a 29g tank from her roommate. Her roommate has kept goldfish in the tank for years, and of late, doesn't seem to really care about the tank. There are 5 goldfish in the tank I believe... one is a ryukin, which of late, has shown what I believe to be swim bladder issues. Its still alive, but it floats upside down, and rarely moves. The other 4 goldfish seem to be comets, and have grown to be massive fish... one of which has grown long enough that it can just barely turn around in the tank. The tank has probably not seen a real water change in 4-6 months. There were cobwebs all over the gap between the water's surface and the tank lid. The tank is covered in algae. There is a visible layer of sludge in the rocks in the bottom... probably close to an inch thick. The filter is so clogged its just barely trickling a stream of water back into the tank. Suffice it to say, this tank DEFINITELY has OTS. We're going to begin doing daily 5% water changes, and probably bump it to 10% daily after 3 days, hopefully giving the fish a chance to adjust to the new water. I can only imagine what the water parameters are... I'm going to test it this weekend. We are hoping to save the fish, and potentially find them a home. If anyone is in the LA/Orange County area, and is looking for 4-5 large goldfish, PM me, and we'll chat about them. We will start a new thread to show the progression and keep everyone updated on what's going on with her new (subjectively speaking) tank.
Perhaps the Original Poster can comment on the inhabitants of the 100g tank, and maybe even shed some light on the true size of the clown loach to help clear our confusion?

Lady Ns

Critter Crazy
Sep 27, 2007
Australia
Real Name
Phae
Okay, my apologies for bad measurements, like I said, I'm no good at it. Numbers in general elude me.
Width is 45cm, height 50c & lenght 155cm. I'm not entirely sure if that'll help with the tank size, I know is it is a deffinate 700 Litres.

And I am quite sorry about my brother, he is somewhat a pain and rather rude, as you've realised.

The smaller of the clown loaches is at the max 2 inches (roughly) right now, it hides most the time, so I'm not enirely sure. As for the measurements of the other fish, they are correct, as I checked them today when feeding them.

Elementkid65, no I don't live in QLD, I live in NSW.

Once again, sorry for the uproar me and my brother have caused, and also very sorry for my inaccurate measurments.

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store