My Female guppies are having seizures and dying

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Shazza94

Registered Member
Jan 22, 2016
Hello,

I bought a second hand 4ft fish tank on the 5th January, I let it cycle for a week and bought one male two female guppies, 4 days after that I bught 4 female guppies, from the same place. I bought all from a local well known chain pet store. For the past 5 days my female guppies have been having only what I can describe as siezures and dying in the night. The male is absolutely fine, he is an endler/guppy hybrid so I suppose this has strengthened him because I hear guppies have weak immune systems due to interbreeding?

I'm now down to 2 females and the male and the females have today started to hve these siezures...

PH is 7.5 and temperature is 27c.

What has gone wrong?

Thanks for reading.

Reactions: Wild West

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
Just for starters a tank can't cycle in a week. What did this cycle entail? Did you start with seeded media? What are your ammonia, nitrite and nitrates readings? How many gallons is the tank or what are the dimensions? Do the fish have any visible signs of disease or parasites? White spots, dark organs, red gills, bloating, clamped fins etc. Can you describe the seizures more please?

Wild West

AC Members
Mar 6, 2015
I am old school so this may not apply now, but I am guessing the ammonia and or nitrites load took them. Guppies are not the hardiest. Maybe try hardier fish for cycling and use some beneficial bacteria supplements? I have even heard of some using live plants to cycle tanks.

And as myswtsins myswtsins mentioned, said, it takes more than a week. My timeline for success is 4 weeks minimum, then one or two fish added with a few weeks in between?

Reactions: myswtsins

Shazza94

Registered Member
Jan 22, 2016
You're absolutely correct, it was the nitrites and ammonia. I'm going to do a cycle with java fern, alfagrog and a large airstone. Ill wait a month then add some hardy fish. Would you recommend white mountain minnows ?

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
So you are going to do a fishless cycle and add an ammonia source for a month? If so just be gentle with the ammonia if you will have plants in there. WCMM are awesome little fish, I love em. Remember they like the temp on the cooler side though.

Shazza94

Registered Member
Jan 22, 2016
So you are going to do a fishless cycle and add an ammonia source for a month? If so just be gentle with the ammonia if you will have plants in there. WCMM are awesome little fish, I love em. Remember they like the temp on the cooler side though.
Im not trying to sound cruel by any means, but I plan on putting the minnows in my biorb in the bedroom in the end, so im going to use them to finalise the nitrogen cycle as I plan on putting rainbowfish in the 4ft tank but as they are going to come from online and are expensive id rather start again with minnows from my LFS.

Wild West

AC Members
Mar 6, 2015
I use a few danios and an bacteria supplemement. Old school. I like danios after the cycling too:)

Cztardust

AC Members
Sep 1, 2016
Absolutely spot on about cycling. Also keep in mind where the local shop is getting their guppies. Inner breading is an issue with guppies if the breeder isn't concerned with the health of the fish and looking at just the color attributes. The guppies we're getting where I'm at have many issues because of this lately.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store