My first 29gal Fowlr

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

egkid

AC Members
Jul 28, 2007
I'm still alive and so is the tank. I haven't added anything to it and nothing died so all is well, the hair algae is still doing great:swear: and the glass has gotten covered in green coraline not so attractive but it's there.

Here's a picture from today.

Merry Christmas everyone!

Last edited:

AC2020x

AC Members
Dec 31, 2008
State College, PA
Hey man, I have a 29 gallon tank and I plan on doing pretty much the same thing you have done!!!-- (I don't have that great of a camera though) I skipped a few pages but i'm guessing you talked about your new light and how you put the background in-- there really sweet and I'll probably do something similar. Also how do you like your filter??? I was looking at the same exact one before I even saw this fourm!-- Is it good? I might get it!!! Also how much money do you think you spent on just the set-up?? no fish included? and also how much in all?? thanks a bunch your tank is really awesome and I think will help me make mine!- It makes me want to do mine even more!

egkid

AC Members
Jul 28, 2007
Thanks, if your talking about the cascade filter I took everything out of it and I'm just use it for flow, as far as how much I spent on it I'd say between $600-$700 but that was over a few months and maybe $150-$200 more on corals and fish. If you haven't started the tank yet just get the saltwater and a few pounds of live rock and leave them in the tank while you save up for the other stuff. Remember not too rush things.

st0l1

AC Members
Dec 16, 2007
You need more snails! Snails will chow down on that hair algae.

From the looks of things you need to do more frequent water changes as well. Good luck.

egkid

AC Members
Jul 28, 2007
I have 1 astrea snail, used to have 5 but the hermit crabs got to them. I didn't like them anyway they were a pain to flip over evertime the fell upside down. I also have 5 olive nerite snails which dont touch the hair algea, and 13 nassarius snails. The only snails that I know of that eat hair algae are astrea and turbo both of which I dont want.

I do a 5gallon water change every other friday.

st0l1

AC Members
Dec 16, 2007
You may not want them..but looking at your tank I would say you NEED them. But hey, it's your tank...Good Luck. :)

egkid

AC Members
Jul 28, 2007
The tank is still fairly new, I think 5 months now so I'm still hoping that regular water changes will eventually take care of the algae. For now I just rip out as much as I can each water change.

egkid

AC Members
Jul 28, 2007
It's just aquarium background from petsmart or petco, I can't remember which one.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store