MY FISH LOST ITS EYES

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

laurenrocksth

AC Members
Jun 24, 2008
Milford, NH
What size tank?
What are your water parameters?
What's your filtration?
What are the tankmates?

Khemul

Sea Bunny
Oct 14, 2010
South Florida
Do you know how it lost the eyes? :confused:

I mean, was it getting picked on by other fish or did it just suddenly one day not have the eye(s)?

MacMyers

AC Members
Sep 14, 2010
Palm Harbor, FL
Real Name
Mac Myers

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
Ah...yeah...it's not ich but a bacterial/fungal disease. Most people are probably going to say euthanize it if the eyes are totally rotted out I would imagine...sorry, man. Frozen water works but try to treat it if you can I suppose.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Are you sure, I have seen fishes "pluck" the eyes out of other fishes.

H2Ogal

Betta Be Good to Me
Mar 16, 2010
Memphis, TN
Real Name
Deborah
Sorry to hear about your fish. Whatever the reason for the eye loss, it sounds like you may need to euthanize the fish. I certainly would, if it's starving and unable to find food. I believe that the most humane methods are: by netting the fish and slipping it quickly into a small container of nearly frozen tank water, which should kill it within seconds; by placing the fish in a small container of tank water (still at regular temp) and then into the freezer, which some believe is less stressful for the fish even though it's slower; or by transferring the fish to a small container of tank water and using clove oil to anesthetize/kill it.

Clove oil is supposed to be available at pharmacies as a treatment for ear infections or something, but I've never found it for sale and so have always used the freezing-water methods. If I have time to let a container of water nearly freeze, I will use the first method because it kills the fish quickly. I have, when necessary, used the slower method. No process is perfect, so do what you need to do and don't worry overmuch about it.

Again, sorry for your fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store