MY FISH LOST ITS EYES

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

oo7genie

Hello my fintime gal...
Nov 18, 2010
Eugene, OR
Real Name
Rick
I'm sorry to hear about your fish :(

The method I use when I end up having to euthanize a fish is to fill a container with ice & water, stick it in the freezer for a few minutes, then once it's cold enough scoop out the ice and quickly place the fish in the water. Death is nearly instantaneous.

IMO, the quick shock seems more humane than slowly freezing to death.

Other methods commonly considered to be humane are placing the fish in a glass of alcohol, the theory being that it acts to numb the fish while it dies in a euphoric state. I don't put much faith into it myself. Then there's cutting it's head off. I simply can't bring myself to use this method, no matter how humane it may actually be.

The worst thing you could ever do to a fish, is flush it down the toilet. If you think about where it ends up, still struggling for survival, you understand that it is about as far from humane as you can get.

MacMyers

AC Members
Sep 14, 2010
Palm Harbor, FL
Real Name
Mac Myers
If it's possible to Shock the fish to death with ice water, which I'm doubtful that it is, Freezing is recognized as an inhumane method by which to euthanize any animals at all.
The "fall asleep and die" bit is fiction.
As the animal freezes the water in the cell walls expands and causes the cell walls to rupture and is extrapolated by tests on various animals to be EXTREMELY painful and a freezing to death a horribly inhumane procedure.
The real reason people like is the "out of sight, out of mind" ease and the lack of the feeling of "active participation that come with some of the more human, less "hands off" dispatch of the animal in question.

Jiyafuku

AC Members
Jan 17, 2011
NW Pennsylvania
Real Name
Josh
Cowboy up, put it in a tupperware container and blast it with a 12 gauge. Even if it wasn't blind, it'll never see it coming. Stand ten paces back.

Jannika

MTS Survivor
Mar 17, 2010
N. California

TabisFish

AC Members
Jan 21, 2011
Loveland, Colorado
Real Name
Tabi Underwood
Do NOT freeze the fish. It is very cruel and inhumane! Put it in a dish with clove oil. It'll put it into a sleep then add more clove oil and it'll die peacefully. I REPEAT. DO NOT FREEZE IT.

oo7genie

Hello my fintime gal...
Nov 18, 2010
Eugene, OR
Real Name
Rick
If it's possible to Shock the fish to death with ice water, which I'm doubtful that it is, Freezing is recognized as an inhumane method by which to euthanize any animals at all.
The "fall asleep and die" bit is fiction.
As the animal freezes the water in the cell walls expands and causes the cell walls to rupture and is extrapolated by tests on various animals to be EXTREMELY painful and a freezing to death a horribly inhumane procedure.
The real reason people like is the "out of sight, out of mind" ease and the lack of the feeling of "active participation that come with some of the more human, less "hands off" dispatch of the animal in question.
Did you have a suggestion for a humane method then?

Dangerdoll

Global Moderator
Aug 27, 2002
Roselle Park, NJ
aquariacentral.com
Real Name
Cori
ok, put about 6 drops in a cup of water and shake it, Clove oil does not dissolve in water so shaking it is necessary so that it mixes evenly as well as it can. Scoop fish with a net into another container (small one) and slowly add the mixture. You will see the fish go to sleep. Be careful though, because the gills will still move but at a slower pace, you will just need to wait about 10 minutes and be sure that the gills are not moving anymore. Wrap up the fish and toss it in the garbage (or bury it, if it's sentimental).

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store