MY FISH LOST ITS EYES

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

oo7genie

Hello my fintime gal...
Nov 18, 2010
Eugene, OR
Real Name
Rick
so will melafix work?
Unfortunately, though I have tried several times because I hate resorting to harsh medications, Melafix has never helped any of my fish.

But I've seen many people say that they've have great success with it, so don't take my word alone.

Eclipse_sky

AC Members
Feb 17, 2011
I wouldn't use melafix. I tried both pimafix and melafix together and had no results. See if you can find maracyn oxy. I've had to use it a couple times and I saw an improvement after 1 dose.

H2Ogal

Betta Be Good to Me
Mar 16, 2010
Memphis, TN
Real Name
Deborah
I read that melafix/pimafix are essentially antisceptics, so they can help with wound healing and such — but don't do the job of a true antibiotic/antifungal. I'm not really knowledgeable about meds so will let others discuss which treatments should work best. I hope your fish makes it ... It's very good to know that it's still eating and you may be able to save it.

Fractalis

Heavy Weapons Guy
Mar 3, 2011
food for another

my cory has the same problem but it can still smell its way around

(my little girl the cory is as tough as nails)

laurenrocksth

AC Members
Jun 24, 2008
Milford, NH
It definitely looks like a bacterial infection. However, you still haven't answered the most important questions. What else is in the tank? What are your water parameters/filtration? How often do you do water changes? Infections like this are often due to poor water quality.

btimmer30

AC Members
Mar 3, 2011
i do water changes once a week. I have an aqua clear 50 HOB filter. My water temp is always at 80. I haven't measured nitrates/nitrites/ammonia in FOREVER, b.c. i have plants and a low bio load and never had high levels of them. don't know my pH, but it was always between 7 and 8. My other fish are healthy as oxen, 3 cardinal tetras, and one other fish I forgot the name of. here's a picture of it.
DSCF0133 - Copy - Copy.JPG

P.S. I have the eugenol, but I will save it until I need it.

DSCF0133 - Copy - Copy.JPG

Jannika

MTS Survivor
Mar 17, 2010
N. California
Interesting, as cardinal tetras are supposed to be difficult in less than ideal conditions. I'm pulling for your little guy, and hope you keep us posted on how its adjusting. I remember reading an article that said something about how a fish losing eyes isn't as painful as one would think. I don't know how this is determined by humans though. lol

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store