My luck finally ran out (ich)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Snagrio

AC Members
Dec 15, 2020
Hmm... I'm still seeing evidence of the parasite on the hatchets. Not the large spots like it was at the onset, they're very tiny (and in fact very difficult to see on their silvery bodies except on the fins), but present nonetheless on several individuals.

Is that how it's supposed to be at this stage or would it be completely gone by now if the treatment was fully effective?

dudley

Eheim User
Feb 9, 2005
Medina, Ohio
Real Name
Dee
I think you only started the heat method on 3/21 so I would continue for the recommended time plus substrate/bare bottom vacuuming.

Reactions: FishAddict74

Snagrio

AC Members
Dec 15, 2020
I think you only started the heat method on 3/21 so I would continue for the recommended time plus substrate/bare bottom vacuuming.
That's what I've been doing. 87F and siphoning the whole bottom (which has no substrate) during water changes every two days. Was just curious if ich still being visually present was normal at this point.

FishAddict74

AC Members
Dec 8, 2020
That's what I've been doing. 87F and siphoning the whole bottom (which has no substrate) during water changes every two days. Was just curious if ich still being visually present was normal at this point.
It can be present still, if you’re seeing improvement, just stick with the treatment.

Reactions: dudley and Sprinkle

Snagrio

AC Members
Dec 15, 2020
There's one hatchet I'm a bit concerned with. It has a tiny white streak on its tail that doesn't look like ich, but I'm not sure what it is. I want to say anchor worm but it doesn't sway away from the body like they do.
IMG_20210329_201932887_LI.jpg
IMG_20210329_202055918_LI.jpg
I know the images aren't the best but they were the closest I could get given how skittish these fish are.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Well, I never hang out in the sick fish forum, but I do 14 days of treatment (what ever your tx choice is) after absolutely NO ich spots.

Squint as I might I can't see the hatchet's tail well enough to even have a guess. Some bacterial issues can come up secondarily to ich...but I think malachite green helps with some. Not as well as a "real" antibiotic...

Reactions: FishAddict74

Wyomingite

Fish Wrangler
Oct 16, 2008
Wonderful Windy Wyoming
Real Name
Ivan
Well, I never hang out in the sick fish forum, but I do 14 days of treatment (what ever your tx choice is) after absolutely NO ich spots.

Squint as I might I can't see the hatchet's tail well enough to even have a guess. Some bacterial issues can come up secondarily to ich...but I think malachite green helps with some. Not as well as a "real" antibiotic...
I can't see well enough either. I don't remember if malachite green helps with bacteria one way or the other. I know it works well as an anti-fungal for eggs and sometimes on fish.

WYite

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store