My luck finally ran out (ich)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Wyomingite

Fish Wrangler
Oct 16, 2008
Wonderful Windy Wyoming
Real Name
Ivan
I thought it was methylene blue. Heard it a lot.
Both work. I actually prefer methylene blue for fungal treatments, but malachite green works on fungi as well.

WYite

Reactions: Sprinkle

FishAddict74

AC Members
Dec 8, 2020
Well, I never hang out in the sick fish forum, but I do 14 days of treatment (what ever your tx choice is) after absolutely NO ich spots.

Squint as I might I can't see the hatchet's tail well enough to even have a guess. Some bacterial issues can come up secondarily to ich...but I think malachite green helps with some. Not as well as a "real" antibiotic...
I’ve also been fortunate enough not to have to visit the sick fish area very often. I’ve only dealt with ich, flukes, Malawi bloat and had an online purchase arrive with some kind of sepsis. But I always treat for two weeks past the point of seeing no symptoms.

Sprinkle

AC Members
Mar 21, 2020
UK
I’ve also been fortunate enough not to have to visit the sick fish area very often. I’ve only dealt with ich, flukes, Malawi bloat and had an online purchase arrive with some kind of sepsis. But I always treat for two weeks past the point of seeing no symptoms.
Sepsis in fish?

FishAddict74

AC Members
Dec 8, 2020
Sepsis in fish?
That’s what I was told, I fortunately haven’t had to deal with many diseases. I know how to treat the few I have dealt with though. This girl got stuck in the mail for a week and the water was cold and smelled foul. I treated with kanaplex but unfortunately she died after a week.

7B89B62F-79DC-44CD-9344-9B9243D9623C.jpeg

83A71D41-41BB-4D14-8F9A-14B4E8911DED.jpeg

• Sad
Reactions: Sprinkle and dudley

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
methylene blue is a different dye, it works on ich too but I wouldn't use both (a couple meds have both). TTA had linked an article that compares many meds effects on ich PAR1100186 149..190 (stir.ac.uk) Page down to the table. Metro doesn't work, many forms of malachite & meth blue effective but many are used as baths. Those are usually higher dose for hours rather than days & can be harder on fish, as is the stress of catching them. I've only done the tank treatments following the directions of 1 drop or 2/gallon.

I think he had another on the different effects of blue & green dyes but I'm not finding it.

FishAddict74

AC Members
Dec 8, 2020
methylene blue is a different dye, it works on ich too but I wouldn't use both (a couple meds have both). TTA had linked an article that compares many meds effects on ich PAR1100186 149..190 (stir.ac.uk) Page down to the table. Metro doesn't work, many forms of malachite & meth blue effective but many are used as baths. Those are usually higher dose for hours rather than days & can be harder on fish, as is the stress of catching them. I've only done the tank treatments following the directions of 1 drop or 2/gallon.

I think he had another on the different effects of blue & green dyes but I'm not finding it.
I used to use Nox Ich but I have had a 100% success rate raising the temp to 88, in marine and fresh. With marine I also did a freshwater dip for those that were severely infested.

Sprinkle

AC Members
Mar 21, 2020
UK
That’s what I was told, I fortunately haven’t had to deal with many diseases. I know how to treat the few I have dealt with though. This girl got stuck in the mail for a week and the water was cold and smelled foul. I treated with kanaplex but unfortunately she died after a week.

View attachment 229503

View attachment 229504
Im so sorry to hear about your lil girl :(

Reactions: FishAddict74

Snagrio

AC Members
Dec 15, 2020
It's been two straight weeks of 87 degree (Fahrenheit) heat treatment + frequent bare bottom siphoned water changes and there's still ich present. Very faintly but still there. Every time it seems like they're disappearing another odd spot or two appears to take their place.

Should I resort to medication by now? Have been thinking of trying Seachem Paraguard.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store