My Pride & Joy Buddy

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

JK47

VERITAS A?QUITAS
Sep 1, 2008
Vancouver, WA
Real Name
Justin
very nice
Thanks very much!

Sweet fish man. Sadly, my prized fish that got me into the hobby passed away the other month after 11 years. Now I'm stuck with an evil Black-Belt Cichlid to fill his place.
Thanks Seth! Sorry to hear about you big guy. Any pics? No worries on derail I would LOVE to see him. Sorry about the loss :( 11 years is no small accomplishment so well done my friend!

Great fish!
Thanks! :D

I have no love for flowerhorns and the nuchal has noting to do with it, I simply don't like them because they are hybrids .............however, yours has great color and IS a good looking fish. Have never seen any as eye-catching as he is! Congratulations on such a crowd pleaser!
Thanks! He is no flowerhorn, I don't care for them either :yuck: he is an Amphilophus citrinellus a "midas" cichlid. He was a rescue and I could not be happier about being the person to give him a 120 gallon to live out his days alone, LIKE A BOSS!! Hope your health is doing well bro. I am doing pretty good having recovered well from last year.

He's good lookin, my LFS actually is about half flowerhorns (the owner's favorite fish I suppose) and because of that and going to see them every day for more than a year they've grown on me. I guess you could say my "center piece" fish is my angel in his own tank (with cories, but I don't really count them haha).
Thank you Aviva! He is not a flowerhorn but the massive nuchal hump kind of makes it hard for most people to know that. I agree though he is a center piece fish for sure. He is in a 120 gallon to himself and it's the only tank in the house. All the other tanks and pairs are in the garage. This guy is a family pet :)

I'm pretty positive that's not a flowerhorn. Looks like a Red Devil/Midas Complex.
Nailed it ;)

Great lookin fish!!
Thank you Mike! :D

Either way it's still an eye-catcher. My apologies on identification.
No worries at all, it might have helped if I listed what he was in the thread. Duh on my part sorry!

Very nice fish!
Thank you Rich! :D

Last edited:

allaboutfish

AC Members
Jul 12, 2011
memphis, tn
Real Name
johnathon dunn
yea i love mine. just waiting for mine to pair up. ive always wanted a midas cichlid, but dont have the tank space.

JK47

VERITAS A?QUITAS
Sep 1, 2008
Vancouver, WA
Real Name
Justin
yea i love mine. just waiting for mine to pair up. ive always wanted a midas cichlid, but dont have the tank space.
I have a 12 gallon at my office but other than that and fry tanks the 120 is my smallest tank at home. I keep only big tanks and big cichlids. I really miss the days of having smaller more manageable tank to be honest. Water change day at my house is no less than 4-5 hours. A midas is probably one of the best fish I've ever owned/enjoyed but a small community tank is pretty attractive to me these days!

fshfanatic

AC Members
Apr 7, 2006
Arizona
Real Name
Mike
Great looking fish!

I kept a Jardini Arrowana in a 150 with a pair of Ornate Bichirs for close to 5 yrs.. He got to the point where he would gently take strips of fish fillet or chunks of shrimp from my hand..

JK47

VERITAS A?QUITAS
Sep 1, 2008
Vancouver, WA
Real Name
Justin
Great looking fish!

I kept a Jardini Arrowana in a 150 with a pair of Ornate Bichirs for close to 5 yrs.. He got to the point where he would gently take strips of fish fillet or chunks of shrimp from my hand..
Thanks Mike! I doubt he'll ever be to the point were I can hand feed him. He will takes from Of your hand not from it lol :ROFL:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store