My tanks

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

NoodleCats

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Canada
Real Name
Casscats
Camera Used
My phone (Samsung 22)
As usual, your tanks & new betta girl look great! I too am sorry about Louie :(

I had to look up homolomena, a new genus to me. Is it planted in the substrate or attached to wood etc? What I saw said they're related to bucephalandra...but planted in the substrate. It could have been cut & paste general plant directions, I didn't look too hard :oops: Most rhizomes need to be up off the substrate...
I attach to hardscape. If I want it on the substrate, I still glue it to a small rock to keep it weighted but not planted in the substrate. It's supposed to be attached to things like buce. It's an unusual plant, somewhat rare in the hobby too. I love it though, it's easier than buce for me as well. I buy as tissue cultures and let them grow in. Great little plants. I got them in my 10 gallon and my betta tank too.
Another to look up, piptospatha ridley! I have that in my 10 gallon, as tissue cultures too so they're small still, but again attached to hardscape. Another rare one as well.

Now this is aquascaping. I wish I could do that. Is that frogbit I see floating in the 55? I always liked that plant.
In the 55 gallon, that's water lettuce. I've got some monster sized lettuce, as large as dinner plates! The roots can get really nuts and need to be trimmed, but within a week reach the substrate again haha

As far as aquascaping goes, I'm almost never happy and always tweaking something in the tanks. Number 1 priority is always making sure the scape meets the fish's needs and happiness. Some scapes aren't necessarily good for the fish (open spaces for one, no shelter for fish to retreat to if they need it, such as with iwagumi style scapes). I also watch a lot of those underwater videos in the Amazon, I love seeing the natural rivers and I try to get ideas from that.

But, my fish have to live in these boxes we call aquariums, so I want to be sure they feel at home in them.

Both my 55 gallons have tetras that are prone to being nippy and territorial (skirt tetras in one, emperor tetras in another) so having something tall and dense helps them have clear defined territories and keeps them really happy as they don't need to fight as much.

One 55g has some blind and shy fish, so lots of dense areas to hide help them feel more comfortable too.

Reactions: dudley

NoodleCats

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Canada
Real Name
Casscats
Camera Used
My phone (Samsung 22)
Been working on this tank since I moved the hoplos to my 135 gallon (posted in its own thread).
Now can have some fancy smancy delicate stem plants lol
20210916_201630.jpg

Plants now in this tank:
So far:
Bacopa monieri
Cabomba caroliniana
Hygrophila polysperma
Limnophila sessiliflora
Ludwigia repens
Pearlweed
Stargrass
Pogostemon g a y i
Pogostemon stellatus octopus
Murdannia keisak
Cryptocoryne usteriana
Cryptocoryne retrospiralis
Cryptocoryne pontederiifolia
Cryptocoryne wendtii "green"
Cryptocoryne wendtii "bronze"
Cryptocoryne wendtii "tropica"
Cryptocoryne wendtii "green gecko"
Cryptocoryne undulata
Cryptocoryne lutea "hobbit"
Cryptocoryne lutea
Taiwan lily
Echinodorus oriental
Echinodorus bleheri
Echinodorus "red melon"
Echinodorus "red ozelot"
Duckweed
Water lettuce

NoodleCats

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Canada
Real Name
Casscats
Camera Used
My phone (Samsung 22)
Added 1 more plant... oops haha lagenandra meeboldii "red", it's on the right side right before the sand clearing.
20210922_220547.jpg

20g Asian tank, the pogostemon octopus has starved out every single other plant, so its now just the pogo octopus and that's alright with me.
20210922_205003.jpg

Been working a little on the 10g
20210922_224714.jpg
20210921_195718.jpg

And bonus fish photos
20210922_205109.jpg
20210922_205132.jpg
20210922_234755.jpg
20210922_224829.jpg
20210922_225057.jpg
20210920_210018.jpg

• Love
Reactions: dudley

jake72

AC Members
Jan 28, 2019
I'm surprise the Pogostemon stellatus octopus hasn't over taken the tank. Even in my low tech tanks it grows to the top readily and quite broad. I have to trim it every week or two. In the high tech tank well it is almost a disaster.

NoodleCats

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Canada
Real Name
Casscats
Camera Used
My phone (Samsung 22)
I'm surprise the Pogostemon stellatus octopus hasn't over taken the tank. Even in my low tech tanks it grows to the top readily and quite broad. I have to trim it every week or two. In the high tech tank well it is almost a disaster.
No no it has haha
This is low tech, I propagate it every week. It's constantly reaching the top and I cut and replant. It's out competed all the other plants, they either died or had to be moved before dying themselves. That pogo is fantastic but crazy grower.

I started with 5 stems of pogo octopus. All of that is from those 5 stems, and 3 stems are in another tank as well.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store