My tanks

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Oooh, purple moss? Pretty! I may have to recind my all out moss hate...but the "growing like crazy" thing is concerning...I'll wait to see what yours does in a few months. What is it called in genus/species name? Interesting!

NoodleCats

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Canada
Real Name
Casscats
Camera Used
My phone (Samsung 22)
Oooh, purple moss? Pretty! I may have to recind my all out moss hate...but the "growing like crazy" thing is concerning...I'll wait to see what yours does in a few months. What is it called in genus/species name? Interesting!
Caloglossa cf. beccarii
Its a pricy little "moss" too

I got lucky and mine ended up being a hitchhiker on another plant. In a year it grew from a tiny 1cm piece to the size of a golf ball it is now. "Growing like crazy" is in terms of its own slow growth, it's grown well for how it was. I've given a small portion to locals as well.

It's relatively slow growing, but it can latch on randomly in places in the tank. But it's rather nice at least.

Reactions: The Masked Shadow

NoodleCats

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Canada
Real Name
Casscats
Camera Used
My phone (Samsung 22)
Wow, that's 1 expensive moss! That growth rate doesn't seem so scary
Despite the price though, if you can get your hands on it I do recommend it! It's low tech, one of the few low tech pure red plants.

And if you decided you didn't want it anymore, sell as much as you can remove from the tank, and then spot dose some peroxide on any remnants it'll die lol it hates peroxide or excel since it's an algae. It'll die the same way.

NoodleCats

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Canada
Real Name
Casscats
Camera Used
My phone (Samsung 22)
Been so hot here and have had some significant losses because of the heat (was out of my control, despite my best efforts) and though it has eased up and is significantly cooler (comfy 75-82F for once, not 90F-100F+), the prolonged heat wave has stressed my fish and I've been dealing with the backlash of that.

Ive lost:
1 limia vittata, 1 BN pleco, 2 Farlowella Platorynchus, 3 ember tetras, 1 corydoras trilineatus, all my pygmy cory fry, all but 1 rainbowfish fry, 6 BN pleco fry, and 4 rainbowfish all directly due to the heat.

But ive also had illness pop up due to the stress on them and have had no choice but to cull affected fish.

Bacterial outbreak is suspect to be mycobacteria aka "fish TB" due to puffy bursting lesions on the rainbowfish affected and curved spine suddenly on one of the cories. (Without lab work, cannot say 100% is mycobacteria, but can get a pretty good guess) Given the fact the symptoms strongly point to it, along with second opinions with some rainbow keepers, best course of action has been to cull the affected fish and watch for others with symptoms. Only my rainbowfish 55g is being affected from this outbreak. I've put it on strict lockdown (no shared equipment, no plants or fish moving out of it, strict hand washing procedure, etc) and have done large water changes every day this week in a row to combat the bacteria load in the tank as well as thoroughly cleaned the filter. I have also "hit the books" with researching mycobacteria and learning more about it.

I was on the fence if I had to cull the entire tank and start from scratch or not, as a lot of folk seem to jump to that option, some manage it as a "carrier-permanently-quarantined tank", etc... but after researching several articles on the particular bacteria (and not just fish keeping articles), I've come to the conclusion that this bacteria is naturally present already within our water (can even get it ourselves from swimming pools!) and as such, culling unaffected fish would be useless as it would still be present regardless. It is much like columnaris where most healthy fish are resistant to it but under stress it takes the opportunity to attack a fish's immune system, but unfortunately there's no cure for it once the symptoms show and nearly always is fatal, thus the kindest decision is to cull the sick ones.

I am hoping with removing the sick fish (2 rainbows and a paleatus cory thus far) I can hopefully see the remaining fish remain healthy and hope it's gone.

Tank will be under a "quarantine" period, and will make sure the tank is symptom free for at least 6 months before I resume moving plants and such around as usual.

No fish will be moved from this tank during this time as well.

This is the tank affected hoping for better days ahead.
20220815_212949.jpg

And for better more happier notes, my betta tank :) her home is coming along. Can you believe Seashell is now over a year since I've brought her home?
20220815_210416.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: dudley

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Oh geez., NC! I've had tank disasters a few times; it sounds like you're doing your best. All I can say is keep up maintenance, drug as you see fit & are able to do...fingers crossed for you & your remaining fish...I'm so very sorry!

Reactions: dudley

NoodleCats

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Canada
Real Name
Casscats
Camera Used
My phone (Samsung 22)
Oh geez., NC! I've had tank disasters a few times; it sounds like you're doing your best. All I can say is keep up maintenance, drug as you see fit & are able to do...fingers crossed for you & your remaining fish...I'm so very sorry!
It's about all I can do, it's a bummer, but researching (been hitting academic articles for it) has given me an easier route forward. I spent a good deal of time worrying that I was going to have to cull everything, as it seems many aquarium blog type sources on the illness state this as necessary (i dislike blog-type articles for accurate research), but to me it makes no sense to do this if it is already naturally in our water like many other types of bacteria. And even then, there's also several species of this bacteria and only a select few are even a potential health risk to humans at that. Without lab testing, all I can do is go on the precaution side with handling it for my own safety and protecting other tanks too. Some speculation among the rainbow keepers that rainbows seem to naturally have this bacteria with them as well to begin with. That's at least what some say, and the rest of what I'm reading states it's found in various water sources, especially within biofilm surfaces. Apparently, also thrives in high heat.

I'll drive myself nuts if I dwell on the horrible sides of it, so I've set myself to researching so I can make a clear path forward.

I've managed to get my hands on some antibiotic food here in Canada, contains kanamycin, nitrofurazone, and metro (its a "general-illness medicated food) and also a prazi-levimasole-epsom-garlic mixed food as well. Hitting them with the general med food with this problem to help, as well as the daily water changes to reduce the bacteria population.

I hate losing fish, it makes me sad, even if they're one of many of a schooling fish. Doesn't matter to me as they were still a living thing now lost. But, I also know these things are a part of the hobby we don't like to cope with. There's ups and downs. This is one of them downs.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I will never keep rainbowfish ever again, at least not praecox. My last praecox "raffle win" fish died very, very slowly, they succumbed to myco in a neverending QT. I treated with many things to no avail & did WCs all the time! Maybe it slowed their deaths but I ended up euthanizing the rest when I had to give up the fight after many months. No other species were involved. I too, think rainbows, of some species anyway, are very susceptible to myco. IME they were more affected by columnaris too...None of my bottom fish got it but some rasboras did.

But still I have my fingers crossed for your other fish, if not the rainbows. 'bows do seem more prone to some diseases than other fish species. Both diseases are high heat sensitive IME. There's only so much we can do about that. I have & use AC here in CA but not much in MA (the slow version of columnaris infection).

I researched like heck when QTing. It seems like the salt myco version is more people transmissable but not too serious even then, most times...

Sad sigh, good luck!

Reactions: NoodleCats
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store