New 39 Gallon Tall

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

xnhx

Registered Member
Sep 16, 2021
Hello, I am cycling a 39 gallon tall aquarium. I want to have a single Electric Blue Acara as the focus, and add a single larger school and a mid size goby/birchir (6-8") or 3-4 mid size loaches (4-5"). I am just wondering if this will be large enough. I have attached an image but keep in mind I have yet to add and plants or decor so it will not stay barren. 20210916_104457.jpg

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
You should stock according to the footprint of your tank. That seems like way too many fish to me. What are the dimesions of a 39g tall? It's not a size I know.

Reactions: dougall

NoodleCats

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Canada
Real Name
Casscats
Camera Used
My phone (Samsung 22)
I have to agree, you might need to look at smaller alternatives.

Bichirs need 80g+ ideally more as they get really long.

Botia loaches are great but super active. If the footprint is less than 36" long, I would opt for a smaller alternative.

Dwarf chain loaches, hovering zebra loaches... these would be fantastic alternatives. Very suitable for that tank size.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Smaller cichlids would be good...maybe an electric blue ram? Very similar to the acara, just lots smaller. Some 6+ corydoras (preferably dwarf) & a biggish school of smallish tetras or rasboras (6-10 of 1 species).

Sorry to be a buzz kill...

NoodleCats

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Canada
Real Name
Casscats
Camera Used
My phone (Samsung 22)
Smaller cichlids would be good...maybe an electric blue ram? Very similar to the acara, just lots smaller. Some 6+ corydoras (preferably dwarf) & a biggish school of smallish tetras or rasboras (6-10 of 1 species).

Sorry to be a buzz kill...
Hm, id steer away from corydoras mostly due to the hot temps blue rams generally need, most cories need much cooler.

Corydoras Schwartzi though may work, theyre one that likes warm. Sterbai possibly as well, but would still be low end for GBR.

Wyomingite

Fish Wrangler
Oct 16, 2008
Wonderful Windy Wyoming
Real Name
Ivan
Make it three No's. That tank isn't large enough for any of those fish alone, let alone the whole list. I sold mine off several years ago because it was an impractical height, but if I remember correctly the footprint is the same as a 29 gallon or a 20 gallon long.

If you want cichlids, any Apistogramma, Nannacara or Laetacara would be appropriate. I'd stay away from rams, they're better off in the hands of someone with a bit more experience. No offense meant, but your choice of stocking tells me you're fairly new to the hobby. You can get the blue color from either the blue morph of Apistogramma borellii or one of the blue Laetacara species, L. Curviceps or L. araguaie especially. Regardless, I'd keep your stocking choices to a pair or trio. After the cichlids, I'd go with fairly mild -mannered fish for the mid and upper regions. Guppies and platies and a slower schooling fish like harlequin rasboras would do well.

I'd avoid Corydoras if you're going with any of my cichlid suggestions. The footprint just isn't large enough to allow a school of cories to coexist with a pair or trio of cichlids peacefully. If you go with only one cichlid, then a school of smaller cories would probably be alright.

WYite

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store