New 40 gallon stocking help

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

FishyWarrior

AC Members
Jun 10, 2017
schaumburg, Illinois
Real Name
Alyssa
I haven't kept shrimp with any loaches but kuhlis (cherry shrimp). They might have eaten small shrimplets but there were lots. I had only pesty pond snails & MTS & there were empty shells, often. They might harass a nerite or amanos, it seems like it would be too risky for either. Sorry
Alright, thanks for you help again!

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
If your sister wants a "non-barb or loach" option, maybe 1 BN pleco would work for her. I have an L144 female I quite like. Just a thought...

FishyWarrior

AC Members
Jun 10, 2017
schaumburg, Illinois
Real Name
Alyssa
If your sister wants a "non-barb or loach" option, maybe 1 BN pleco would work for her. I have an L144 female I quite like. Just a thought...
Ah yeah she did mention wanting a pleco too, but i just remember mine being nothing but a poop machine haha. Super cute of course! Just wish they weren't so messy.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I don't find BNs to be the "poop machines" like bigger plecos...but it depends on your definition, of course ;)

Maybe she can wait & see how the barbs & loaches work in her tank & see if she really "needs" (wants) another species...IME less is more fun...

FishyWarrior

AC Members
Jun 10, 2017
schaumburg, Illinois
Real Name
Alyssa
I don't find BNs to be the "poop machines" like bigger plecos...but it depends on your definition, of course ;)

Maybe she can wait & see how the barbs & loaches work in her tank & see if she really "needs" (wants) another species...IME less is more fun...
Yeah i totally agree with less species being better. It just looks better aesthetically too and the fish are happier with bigger groups. It's really working out for me so far.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Yeah, I think you get it...but does your sister? ...nudge her gently toward a better, more balanced tank, lol.. Ya know she'll be happier in the long run...I might say you need to play the "sister" card of experience to "help her" do the best stocking, she so close to awesomeness.

Yeah, throw me under the stocking bus, I'm game!!! (lol)

FishyWarrior

AC Members
Jun 10, 2017
schaumburg, Illinois
Real Name
Alyssa
Yeah, I think you get it...but does your sister? ...nudge her gently toward a better, more balanced tank, lol.. Ya know she'll be happier in the long run...I might say you need to play the "sister" card of experience to "help her" do the best stocking, she so close to awesomeness.

Yeah, throw me under the stocking bus, I'm game!!! (lol)
Haha, i like to think i'm being a good influence on her. She seems to understand all the most important things now like quarantining and stocking from all of my mistakes LOL

Reactions: fishorama

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Well, you're getting her there...nudge, nudge...That's how sisters do it IME, lol....she is almost there...

Sign her up on AC & let her ask her own questions, there's only so much you can do...you know I don't pull any punches, haha!

FishyWarrior

AC Members
Jun 10, 2017
schaumburg, Illinois
Real Name
Alyssa
Well, you're getting her there...nudge, nudge...That's how sisters do it IME, lol....she is almost there...

Sign her up on AC & let her ask her own questions, there's only so much you can do...you know I don't pull any punches, haha!
Not sure i can get her on here, but i'm pretty confident she won't do anything without consulting me first at this point lol.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store