old dog needs new LED tricks

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
I am normally one for more expensive lighting.

Not a huge fan of the kessils ;)

Hope it works out well. Be sure to report back.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Oh, I know you are a lighting nut, lol. I pretend it's your salty side & deep millennial pockets, ha! You don't like the Kessil "shimmer"? I have mixed feelings about that & the "disco" surface reflections of LEDs. Old eyes are sensitive to weird lights, lol. I've been told I need a bank of T-5s, MH spots & other expensive options...I'm too cheap & indifferent to the latest tech...but I'll listen to what everyone says. But I will NOT be getting a smart phone or blue tooth gizmo just to play with tank lighting effects :p

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
I'm clearly not a millenial ;)

I don't really have much of a saltwater lighting side. I'm more interested in teh animals, not corals.

the Kessils have the shimmer thing, but the color reproduction fronm them, to me, belies their saltwater roots, and everything is too blue, when you really want more greed and then red for a planted aquarium.

The disco effect comes from different colored LEDs, and the reflections, like the shimmer you get from Kessils, but with different colors it looks like a disco.. not everyone can see it, not everyone is bothered by it... but it is different for different fixtures, and certainly less with modern fixtures vs those from maybe 2010 through 2017.

If you are so inclined, Cara Wade who spoke at the last AGA convention and used to work for build my LED is scheduled to speak at the next Chicago Area Plant Sociaty meeting online in roughly a month (4th Sunday) specifically about LED lighting.

it should be posted to the AGA Facebook group on the day, but I would be happy to sneak the link to you if you like.

And if you are going to get a smart phone, do it to play games and then shop on Amazon... I use it for aquariums, but really to change timers and changing colors.. no effects. But watch out, some lights will only let you control certain features of them with a cell phone )or tablet) like the Fluval 3.0 for example... I did try to remember and take it into account ;)

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Yes , please sneak me the link otherwise I'm apt to forget, lol. I'm a boomer (ahem) & you're younger...from your (old?) pics. So what is your generation called?

I can shop, bank & play (some?) lesser games on my PC. I have a lame Android tablet for books from my Bro., but good enough & better than a Kindle in many ways...so really it comes down to GPS & tank lights? LOL, I know you know me...Eventually I'll get there...

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
Gen X.

And, for some reason, they don't release the software for the lights for PCs, just for phones and tablets.

You may be able to install the light software on the tablet.. but you might find it is written for newer tablets (or version of Android) same thing with phones... So not something I would gamble on working.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Nor me, dougall! Not worth the cost or figuring out what may be "optimal" for a given device...old dog, not techie in any way... Maybe someday but unlikely any time soon...

I'm sorry I forgot you Gen Xers...old people tend to forget stuff...ya know we do...lol...

NoodleCats

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Canada
Real Name
Casscats
Camera Used
My phone (Samsung 22)
F fishorama
Here's how the SkyLED Plus looks on the water surface

And photos of the lighting on the surface too and underside of the light.
20210524_121613.jpg20210524_121626.jpg

And full view of the tank itself. Both sides use a Nicrew SkyLED Plus.
20210521_222039.jpg

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
Yes , please sneak me the link otherwise I'm apt to forget,
Unfortunately it looks like the program changed, the President of the club is going to talk about the principles of aquascaping

it's on the 26th, let me know if you want the link still

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Thanks dougall. Yes, please post the link.

I kind of forgot about actually ordering the lights. I took the T-5s off a different tank for the 110g but I'll still need a 4ft...

• Haha
Reactions: dougall
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store