old dog needs new LED tricks

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
I will drop you a private message. :)

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
TY dougall!

Yeah, I can't believe I didn't order the darned light yet. I really hate shopping & now I see I didn't even save my searches either...grr...

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
If it was on Amazon it might be in your browsing history

Signus

Aquarist, not Aquarius
Oct 17, 2004
Gainesville, Florida
Want to thank you all. I took a break from the hobby and am now getting into it again. This is all great information! Not to jack the conversation, but does this information scale to 100+ gallon tanks? Still have an old RexGrigg CO2 regulator with solenoid and needle valve.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
Start your own thread.

Amount of light doesn't really go hand in hand with the volumeof water ;)

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I don't mind a thread "hijack", it's all good. But your tank may be a different size than mine & I'm low tech (no co2) so you've got other stuff to consider...dougall tends to be, well, more knowledgeable in all aspects of planted tanks. He helps us (me) lame planty folks & the more advanced. Signus, you seem more advanced & would be best to let dougall & others help you in a new thread.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
So a year later & I finally bought an LED light! I went with NoodleCats suggestion of Nicrew Sky LED plus. It came yesterday. I had to clean the lids, prefilters everywhere & 1 filter today. I'm letting the lids dry more before I try it out...& then a shower before some easy dinner. It turned out to be more effort than I'd planned on, like many of my "projects". I shouldn't be surprised any more, they're often that way & let's face it, I'm lazier than ever.

OK, we just stuck the new LED on my 55g "river" tank next to my computer & it's not too bad. Color seems ok. The water level is down a little but unless I try really hard I don't see any "disco" lights or glare. Dang! though, there's a LOT of moss I couldn't see before. A project for another day...

Standing near the tank I see the multicolored light effects, bah! Mostly sitting by this tank so probably ok...always hopeful.

Now I'll have to look up what the control buttons do if I want to play around with it. I did see info online when researching them (a long time ago). I think it's B for blue, W for white but I don't know what M in the middle may mean. I hope it looks ok in the factory settings (yes!). I was worried about the multicolor light reflections off lid & water surface & was going to put it on my "dining room" big tank I rarely see (no fish, just plants). But then I decided I should try it on the "river" tank right next to my computer. I need to see if I like it or hate it close by...I know I need to get used to LEDs but maybe not these cheap 1s if they bug me.

Thanks for you suggestions NoodleCats! Looks pretty good so far tonight! Much better than I'd thought!!

Reactions: FreshyFresh

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Oh, it seems there was a spouse deafness incident or worse, opposite hearing. It did come with instructions! I'll work on lighting options later but I like it again today...except for all the moss...not today...

• Haha
Reactions: FreshyFresh
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store