Opinions on reverse flow UGF.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Twistersmom

AC Members
Jan 17, 2009
Ordered the kit.
Another question, just did a water change and gravel cleaning yesterday. I plan to do another gravel cleaning before installing the kit. I am concerned about all the dirt thats going to fly out when I connect the power heads back up. I can see under the UGF from underneath, although its not covered in dirt, I can see patches even after the gravel cleaning.
Should I remove the fish till things clear up? The tank has been up and running a couple years, so it is well established.
Will the Emperor 400 and the two sponge filters on the power heads be enough filtration on a 65 gal with the reverse flow or should I add another filter?

NorCalFish

AC Members
Sep 4, 2008
it was a while since i set up my RUGF but from what i remember, the gravel kept most of the stuff under the plates so i dont think it should be a problem. I think that as long as you dont disturb the plates, it shouldn't cause a mess. (found that out when i had to take down the tank to fix a leak).

as for enough filtration, i have a similar set up in my 40g but it depends on what you plan to stock.

toddnbecka

AC Members
Dec 17, 2004
Cumberland, MD 21502
Whatever does blow out should mostly be picked up by the filters rather quickly. It's nothing that isn't already in the tank, so it isn't going to make any impact on the water chemistry. The fish will be fine.
As for the filtration, how many time/hour does the Emperor turn over the actual volume of water in the tank? How heavily is the tank stocked?

Twistersmom

AC Members
Jan 17, 2009
The Emperor is rated at 400 gph.
My stock list:
2 Bolivian Rams
2 stripped Peacock eels
4 female bettas
8 cory
6 Boesemani Rainbows
around 10 Mystery Snail.

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
it may seem like a pain in the tookus, but if you are really concerned with any gunk coming up from under the plates when you go to hook up the RUGF, you could do another water change and try to clean out under your plates by snaking spare airline tubing or some such tubing in under your UGF plates via the uptake tubes and siphoning out as much gunk as possible. might work?

toddnbecka

AC Members
Dec 17, 2004
Cumberland, MD 21502
That's not a heavy load, you should be fine with the Emperor. If you have a deep enough gravel bed for a UG filter you're closer to 40-45 gallons of water than 65.

Twistersmom

AC Members
Jan 17, 2009
Yea! My kit came in the mail today. I did another gravel cleaning and installed my kit.
It was not messy at all when I turned the power heads on. All that worry for nothing.

Another question, It came with a plug for the spot that I put an air line for extra air. I used the plug, but can I use the air line like before or will it weaken the strenght of the reverse flow.
Thanks so much for telling me to buy the kit! It was easy to put together. Can't wait to see if there is a notable difference in the amount of dirt in the gravel next week during the water change.

NorCalFish

AC Members
Sep 4, 2008
well if you dont use the plug, water will flow out into the tubing.

i dont think it'll be a noticeable difference but rest assured

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store