Opinions on reverse flow UGF.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

toddnbecka

AC Members
Dec 17, 2004
Cumberland, MD 21502
You don't want to shoot air under the filter plate/s; you'll have large bubbles collecting then working through the gravel wherever they find a path.

Twistersmom

AC Members
Jan 17, 2009
I will leave the plugs in.
Added an air stone and pump to the tank today. Not as much air circulating through the tank as before, but everyone seems fine.

cubequeen

AC Members
Apr 28, 2007
Indiana
www.etsy.com
Real Name
Karen
I grow plants okay with a UGF, especially hygrophilia species, as long as I keep the cyano at bay.

By the way, regarding bottom-dwellers, mine always used to die when the UGF was not reverse flow.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Weird...never have had issues with bottom dwellers, UGF or RUGF....must have been lucky!

:)

Lbow757

Registered Member
Mar 11, 2019
I am trying to decide if I should completly remove my UGF in my 65 gal tank or make it reverse flow.
My power heads are not capable of reverse flow, but I do have two water pumps that are currently not in use. Maybe I could fix them to do the job?
Not sure I will be able to find a sponge to fit the intake on them.
I am using an Emperor 400 on the tank.
Looking for peoples opinions on the reverse flow. Do you like it? I think it would be easier to just remove the UGF, but if reverse flow would be more beneficial, I will go that route.
Marineland powerheads include a reverse elbow. I have an aquaclear 50 and cut a golf grip to mount side ways. Cut the tube end to fit in the filter tubes and cut the bottom end to length and put it over the outlet port on the power head. Either one will require the filter on the input

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store