Ordered a new canister filter.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
If you have a Lowe's near you they (all used to?) sell many sizes of tubing on giant rolls. I'm think that's the route I'll have to take with my UV filter. A "real" plumbing supply seemed to help, but not really...

You were lucky to have some parts to fit the likely metric tubing (vs Imperial measurements?). Of course that's how the manufacturers sell some equipment, nothing standard fits ;)

Reactions: Sprinkle

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Oh It's for sure an odd size tubing. Like you say, you can probably get something close enough at a home/hardware store. I wound up having to heat the tubing ends in hot water to stretch over the elbow piece I used.

Apr 2, 2002
New York
A couple of thoughts re canisters. I learned this even before I owned my first canister and was taught it by a gent who had 50+ year working in the field of pets and fish (mostly fish) and keeping fish at home as well.

He hated hoses as they have a tendency to be prone to detaching over time. I use hose clamps on all my hose connections.

I also have a habit of drilling extra holes in spray bars. I add several small holes about 90 degrees around from the ones the bar comes with. This results in redirecting some of the outflow downward which brings some circulation to what would normally be close to a dead zone.

Finally, the flow rate one can get from the return of a canister depends upon how far below the tank the canister is placed. There are a couple of tanks under which I place a riser on which the canister sits. This decreases the distance the water must rise to enter the tank. For the 350 the max. height it can lift water is 5'10" (1.8m).

Of my three identical canisters, the one I most like is the one which uses only Poret foam inside it. No floss, no Efimech or Efistrat, just 20 ppi foam filling both baskets. It needs cleaning about every 3+ years.

Sprinkle

AC Members
Mar 21, 2020
UK
A couple of thoughts re canisters. I learned this even before I owned my first canister and was taught it by a gent who had 50+ year working in the field of pets and fish (mostly fish) and keeping fish at home as well.

He hated hoses as they have a tendency to be prone to detaching over time. I use hose clamps on all my hose connections.

I also have a habit of drilling extra holes in spray bars. I add several small holes about 90 degrees around from the ones the bar comes with. This results in redirecting some of the outflow downward which brings some circulation to what would normally be close to a dead zone.

Finally, the flow rate one can get from the return of a canister depends upon how far below the tank the canister is placed. There are a couple of tanks under which I place a riser on which the canister sits. This decreases the distance the water must rise to enter the tank. For the 350 the max. height it can lift water is 5'10" (1.8m).

Of my three identical canisters, the one I most like is the one which uses only Poret foam inside it. No floss, no Efimech or Efistrat, just 20 ppi foam filling both baskets. It needs cleaning about every 3+ years.
The pic, that thing breaks easily. Its made out of aluminium, at least the one i used

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
That's a good idea with the hose clamps. With these Eheim classics, the connections at the hook shaped in and out flow pipes aren't even barbed. You just shove the hose over the plastic tubing. You're relying only on the interference fit to hold it together. They really are about as simplistic and crude a design as you can get, but it's worked for 40yrs or longer I suppose.

the loach

AC Members
Aug 6, 2018
That's a good idea with the hose clamps. With these Eheim classics, the connections at the hook shaped in and out flow pipes aren't even barbed. You just shove the hose over the plastic tubing. You're relying only on the interference fit to hold it together. They really are about as simplistic and crude a design as you can get, but it's worked for 40yrs or longer I suppose.
?? I still have and use some of the Eheims I bought in the 80's, and they have swivel nuts ?

You mean the flow increases when you decrease the distance between the canister and the tank, within factory specifications? How much of an increase are we talking about say 2 ft vs 1 ft?

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
?? I still have and use some of the Eheims I bought in the 80's, and they have swivel nuts ?
The only swivel / compression nuts on the current day 250 and 350 models (2213 / 2215) are at the canister end of the hoses and on the shutoff valve connections.

the loach

AC Members
Aug 6, 2018
Oh so you mean there is nothing to clamp the hoses to the spray bar and the upside down J intake that goes in to the tank? Yes those are clamp to fit (15-20mm) they will hold fine (as long as you don't separate them and insert again)

Apr 2, 2002
New York
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store