Over-filtering

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

crenwelge

AC Members
Nov 28, 2002
Visit site
Can you over filter?

To make this quick I came home my filter had burned out, I rushed out got a new one, started looking at the old one and relized there was nothing wrong(?) So now I have 2 penquin 125's (one with a bio wheel) on a 20 gal tall. Is this a problem or not?

djlen

Fish?.......What Fish?
Aug 19, 2002
Somerdale, New Jersey USA
Other than an abundant water circulation, I don't see how it would cause you a problem. Some plants and some fish don't like a lot of circulation.
Len

NJ Devils Fan

#1 Devils fan
Oct 28, 2002
Yonkers, NY
members.tripod.com
No, there is nothing to worry about. Personally, I would want 2 Penguin 125s on a 20g tank. I have 1 125 on my 10g tank and it is great, so 2 on a 20g tank would be great too.

MP

AC Members
Jan 6, 2000
Chicago area, IL
I fully agree with the above replies.

The only [purely personal] thing I may add is that I would like to see no Penguins in any of my tanks. I just don't like them at all. :)

MP

AC Members
Jan 6, 2000
Chicago area, IL
I don't like them only because none of the Penguins 125 I ever tried worked well for any extended period of time. All of them developed the same problem with Biowheel rotation. It just wouldn't rotate. And nothing would restore a reliable rotation.

A major design flaw, I suppose.

At the same time, Marineland produces very good Emperors. I guess the spray bar is what makes the difference.

Although giving generic filter suggestions is not good, I'd just go with something like AquaClear 200 for your tank. Simple, reliable, and inexpensive. Easy to maintain too. Two sponges inside, one sponge-over the intake.

Last edited:

125gJoe

2009 VMAX
Jul 6, 2002
Penguin Prob..

Originally posted by MP
I don't like them only because..... problem with Biowheel rotation. It just wouldn't rotate. And nothing would restore a reliable rotation.

A major design flow, I suppose.

At the same time, Marineland produces very good Emperors.
AquaClear HOB are good products. I did hear about the same problem as the above statement....

ewok

Senile Member
Jun 11, 2002
new haven ct.
i think that used to be tnc's old rant about bio-wheels.... she got the penguins instead of the emperors... :confused: :rolleyes: :D

personally my only bio-wheels are of the emperor type, and not having owned a penguin i would assume they are much better designed because of the spraybar. i know i have had well-cultured biowheels load up with gunk and get heavy on one side and want to stop rolling, and in a situation where the spraybar doesn't exist that could be a serious problem from what i have experienced.

as far as the original question, i would use them both personally.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store