Over-filtering

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

NJ Devils Fan

#1 Devils fan
Oct 28, 2002
Yonkers, NY
members.tripod.com
Yea, your right about the wheel. My friend's 125 hardly has any flow, so the wheel doesn't even move. I've taken it apart and cleaned everything for him, and got the same result. Mine on the other hand has great flow, the wheel goes around very fast and almost no water comes out of the intake area. A ton of water used to come out of the intake area like last month. I cleaned everything, and it still happened. But then one day a few weeks ago, I looked at it, and it was doing great. Hope it continues to be doing fine.

goozy

AC Members
Dec 14, 2002
NY
Visit site
I am expieriencing that same problem with my penguin 125 on my 16 gallon tank. Nothing I do will ever make that wheel turn again for more then a couple of seconds at a time.

T

TnCgal

I had the same experience as MP. I haven't been vocal about this for quite some time now, but it is no secret that I really don't like Bio-Wheel filters. Now I realize this is just "my" experience and not everyone has had the same one, but I have now completely converted all of my Bio-Wheels to AquaClears for the very reason mentioned above.

Every single one of the Bio-Wheels I've ever had has slowed to the point of completely stopping and I have even called the company to complain about the problem and to see what could be done to prevent it from happening in the future. I was told by the company representative that it is quite common for algae and debris to clog the frame of the wheel itself to the point of interfering with its spinning capabilities, and to "simply take the wheel out of its housing and clean it every couple of weeks". Sheesh, why would I want to do all that, when my AquaClears are just clicking away with no problems at all ?

All I needed was for the rep to acknowledge that it was a design flaw and that was enough to convince me to go straight AquaClears, and I have done just that, and have never been sorry for one second. I am thrilled with the AquaClear product.

JamisonBWolsh

I am what I am. Defender of truth!
Nov 1, 2002
Hawaii
I had mine for a year, works great. Just take in fact that the emperors have a LOT better Bio filtration then any AC on the market.

MP

AC Members
Jan 6, 2000
Chicago area, IL
Just to avoid a possible confusion, I want to repeat that I'm not against BioWheels. Emperors are great BioWheel filters. It's just that the design of a particular model, Penguin, is poor, IMO.

JamisonBWolsh

I am what I am. Defender of truth!
Nov 1, 2002
Hawaii
Mp,

I heard the same for penguins. Not a good product. Try the emperor, a great Powerfilter!

JacksontoKobe

AC Members
Feb 18, 2002
Belgrade, MT
Yeah I have heard the same bout the penguins the only difference between them and the emperors is sthe spray bar which makes a tremendouss difference I own a emperor 280 and have done little to no maintenance on it for over 7 months great filter.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store