Paradise fish in a goldfish bowl

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Candycat21

Dec 17, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I am going to re-itterate what everyone else has said...NO MORE FISH in that bowl!
Just about everyone here that has answered your post is extremely knowledgable and to not take their advice is crazy! :duh:
Yes paradise fish can be kept in STABLE lower temps, but not lower than 68-70 F is what I would reccommend.
Also, majority of these fish are bred here in the states where breeders use filters and heaters to keep their tanks constant and are not wild caught - if they were wild caught, then maybe they would be a little more tolerant of lower temps, but good chances are that they're commercially bred and are not used to lower temps like that....especially such a large temp fluctuation as you have going on.
Just do your fish a favour and invest in a 5 or 10 gallon tank from walmart or something - heck from anywhere - and add a heater and filter please...surely if you can accomodate a large 180 gallon, then a small 5 or 10 should be no problem.
I agree with everything that the others have said here, and it would be wise to follow the advice given....think of your fish....

Roan Art

AC Members
Oct 7, 2005
Northern VA
bowheads.org
toffee said:
I was hoping some one with some real experience :(
Did you not read the comment from ohbly?:

Iv got a 2" paradise fish in a well filtered 7g and I think that it is too small for two.
Or were you specifically looking for someone with experience to agree with you? If so, why bother asking? Just do whatever you want. You're going to anyhow.

Roan

TKOS

Registered User of Fish
Feb 6, 2003
Nova Scotia, Canada
tkos.unsta.com
http://www.geocities.com/shtinkythefish/pfish

http://www.aquariacentral.com/fishinfo/fresh/paradise.htm

There are a couple of links for ya. And have you heard of fish having their growth stunted? Well do a little research on that before figuring that you can wait until your paradise outgrows your small bowl.

My experience with small unheated and unfiltered bowls is that they fail and at best produce listless and boring fish.

But seriously the best answer for you at this point is "Thank you for the information" and then move on because as Roan said you will do what you want anyway. No one on this board will give you the thumbs up on keeping 2 paradise in a 2 gallon bowl with such huge temp fluctuations. That is jsut the way it is. You can try searching other boards, maybe some one will argree out there. But if you don't agree and don't want what seems to be a lecture then just say thanks and that it.

UncaBret

Yummmm!
Nov 23, 2005
Normal,IL
www.myspace.com
TKOS said:
[

But seriously the best answer for you at this point is "Thank you for the information" and then move on because as Roan said you will do what you want anyway. No one on this board will give you the thumbs up on keeping 2 paradise in a 2 gallon bowl with such huge temp fluctuations. That is jsut the way it is. You can try searching other boards, maybe some one will argree out there. But if you don't agree and don't want what seems to be a lecture then just say thanks and that it.
Amen to that!

Leopardess

Everything's eventual.
Aug 13, 2003
New Hampshire Seacoast Area
Visit site
You want experience? Okay. I HAVE a paradise fish. He's too big to ever consider being kept in a bowl. Period.

toffee

AC Members
Oct 30, 2005
Leopardess said:
You want experience? Okay. I HAVE a paradise fish. He's too big to ever consider being kept in a bowl. Period.
You sounded angry!

I had oscars, they were happy in my 180g, but they were equally happy in my 75g. What you were saying sounded like, I HAVE an oscar, he's too big to ever consider being kept in a 75g, Period.

You don't have any experience of raising paradise fishes in small environment, do you?

toffee

AC Members
Oct 30, 2005
TKOS said:
http://www.geocities.com/shtinkythefish/pfish

http://www.aquariacentral.com/fishinfo/fresh/paradise.htm

There are a couple of links for ya. And have you heard of fish having their growth stunted? Well do a little research on that before figuring that you can wait until your paradise outgrows your small bowl.

My experience with small unheated and unfiltered bowls is that they fail and at best produce listless and boring fish.

Now, that is experience. Care to share what did you have in your small unheated and unfiltered bowls?

As far as paradise fishes are concern, unless captive breeding has seriously alternated their preferences. In their native habitat, they thrive in small puddle of water, unheated and unfiltered of course. These fishes were often found in rice paddies all over southern China. Want to read? try this:
From another website

I like to thank you for taking the time to reply but I find the information that you have provided pretty useless.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store