Paradise fish in a goldfish bowl

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

NotGumbel

The Dude
Nov 5, 2004
Elkins, WV USA
UncaBret said:
" Paradise Fish in a Goldfish Bowl"

Sounds like the title to a rock song.
I gotta know right now will ya love me
Will ya change my water will ya feed me
Will ya put me in a water-filled thimble for the rest of my life
Will ya give me a pacu or a pleco to call my wife

:dance:

patoloco

De seguro no sabes lo que dice aqu
Oct 20, 2005
Costa Rica
wetpatoloco.tripod.com
People, please, let's make this post the last on this this thread. This is getting nowhere and this discussion will only end up in a waste of bandwidth.
( I sounded like a rude admin :bowing: :bowing: )

toffee

AC Members
Oct 30, 2005
thebluejackal said:
Um. This situation, compared to the original, seems a LOT different to me. >.>; Maybe it's just me.

Listen, okay?

Great. Rice paddies. Bettas live in rice paddies, too. But do you see any of US recommending that they be kept in tiny bowls with no filtration? Would any of US stick a male and a female together in a two gallon bowl when they could very easily be aggressive toward one another? No!

If you're already so hell-bent to do what you're trying to do, then why are you asking us about it? If you HAVE so much ruddy experience, why are you asking to talk to someone with experience and then immediately waving them off when they give you advice that's different than what you're wanting to do? In this situation, no one's going to give you a pat on the back if that's what you're looking for.
US being someone like you? LOL

CatLover

Rummy Nose Tetra Fanatic
Jan 4, 2006
Texas
toffee, I posted before reading your last comment "natural habitats"

Did you go and get that paradise fish out of a rice patty or a murky puddle?

I'm guessing you didn't, so he is not used to living in one.

toffee

AC Members
Oct 30, 2005
patoloco said:
People, please, let's make this post the last on this this thread. This is getting nowhere and this discussion will only end up in a waste of bandwidth.
( I sounded like a rude admin :bowing: :bowing: )
May be we could leave it open so someone in the future can learn the more 'native' way of caring for paradise fishes?

CatLover

Rummy Nose Tetra Fanatic
Jan 4, 2006
Texas
Toffee, since we posted at the same time, read the post above yours.

stingray4540

Hello, Hello, Helloooo!
Oct 18, 2005
San Jose, CA
www.geocities.com
Toffee: YOu are right about the fish being found in rice patties. The problem is, the rice patties, although shallow, are big. Think of a five inch deep aquarium that is an acre square. so, even though they don't have a lot of verticle space, they do have a lot of horizontal space. A bowl doesn't have a lot of vertical or horizontal space.
You are also correct in them being found in mud puttles. But, that is just an example of how well these fish survive in poor conditions. They do not live in mudd puddles all year long, or for any extent of time for that matter.
To answer your question:
No, you shouldn't add another fish. Being anatobids (sp?) paradise fish do not get along with each other well. Even if you have a male and a female, they wont like being together in such a small space until they are ready to breed. Think of them as bachelors, they don't want to be in the same house as a women unless they're having sex. (ok a little exageration)
If you want to keep your fish in a bowl for now, and are succesfull in doing so, then go ahead, none of us can stop you. But, just because you are doing this succesfully does not meen it is the best conditions for your fish. Rainbow trout can be raised in a tube with a lot of other trout, packed like sardines, but that does not meen that that is the best environment for them.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store