Penn-plax 1000 problem

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

IceH2O

Bazinga
Nov 26, 2005
Rock Hill,South Carolina
Real Name
Ice
This morning when I got up I could hear the filter running but it wasn’t pushing any water. Like it lost its suction.
I took it apart and removed the impeller bc it was a bit loud and reset it.
another thing I hate is the way this thing primes. Such a pita.
finally got it primed and it’s working but anyone that has one know why it may have happened?
Luckily I keep a smaller hob on too so it was a total filter less situation but I’m planning on buying some expensive fish and would have been kissed if I lost them because of this.

guess you can’t edit titles. Stupid autocorrect

Reactions: FreshyFresh

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
I've got a penn-plax 1500 model that I've had for a month or two. Sometimes the trickiest prime is the very first one, when the hoses don't have water in them. Other than that I never have an issue priming any of my canisters. I fill them with as much water as I can before I pop the tops on them. At best I'll have to pump the primer 1-2x or tilt and tip the unit a few times.

My Penn-plax 1500 is being used on a tank that's only a few inches off the floor as well, so the top of the canister is only about 6" lower than the water level in the tank it's hooked up to. It does shoot air bubbles every so often, but it moves a lot of water. Mine has nothing but 5 trays of coarse foam in it.

When she's running, try closing the inlet or outlet valve for a bit to see if that purges out any trapped air.

IceH2O

Bazinga
Nov 26, 2005
Rock Hill,South Carolina
Real Name
Ice
Trapped air isn’t a problem. I’m not getting air bubbles.
problem was waking up walking out to the tank and not seeing any flow even though I could hear the filter working.
move researched and others have said after 2 weeks theirs also lost suction and mine was at 2 weeks. Just weird.
Will see if it happens again.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
You did mention having problems priming, which is indeed a trapped air problem and what I was getting at.

Let us know how you make out.

Reactions: IceH2O

IceH2O

Bazinga
Nov 26, 2005
Rock Hill,South Carolina
Real Name
Ice
thanks FF

Ok quick question. Should it sound like this or is it trapped air or a bad impeller?

IceH2O

Bazinga
Nov 26, 2005
Rock Hill,South Carolina
Real Name
Ice
Ok most definitely was trapped air. I took it apart. Used Vaseline to lube the impeller and shaft. Coated the o ring and noticed my clamps could be tighter. Sounds much better. It’s burping some but I expected that.

IceH2O

Bazinga
Nov 26, 2005
Rock Hill,South Carolina
Real Name
Ice
Ugh. When I took the top apart I dropped the prime button and just realized the flat round thing that sits inside is on the floor. It primed fine without it but I will get it back in.

my issue right now is tho it is quieter. I’m not getting the push I was before. If I removed the spray bar it was like a jet. Now it’s more like a faucet at half way.
I’m dropping someone off at work and am getting more bio max so I will be taking it back apart in about an hr.
any tips on what may be causing the slow down before it’s even entering the bar?
No kinks valves wide open.
Tyia

IceH2O

Bazinga
Nov 26, 2005
Rock Hill,South Carolina
Real Name
Ice

this is what the flow looks like full blast.
I’ve tilted it. I’ve opened it back up. I’ve reprimed it.
Any other ideas?

IceH2O

Bazinga
Nov 26, 2005
Rock Hill,South Carolina
Real Name
Ice
I think that might be the flow. I took off the spray bars except one like I had it before and it was a good flow.
unless one of you say differently from what you see in the video above I’m done messing with it.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Troubleshooting the sound is tough over the innerwebs, but below is a video I just took of my Penn-Plax 1500 running, but right next to it is my Marineland C-360 and just a few feet away is an Aquaclear 70 and a Seachem Tidal 110 whirring away.

The output flow is very strong on my PP 1500, but it's a bigger filter than your 1000. Plus I've only got coarse sponge in each of the 5 trays if that makes a difference.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store