Petco 1$ per gallon sale?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Jumko

AC Members
Jun 18, 2004
Jersey
Visit site
Real Name
Patrick
Stopped by another petco after lunch and picked up their last two 40 breeders. Then I proceeded to look stupid in the parking lot as I tried to figure out how to fit two 40 breeders in a 1991 honda accord (TINY car). Honestly, single handedly hauling these 58 lb. tanks around took waaay more out of me than I though it would. I need a sunday nap lol.

P.S.: I was charged tax on the price BEFORE discount. Came out to $96.10 with tax (7% NJ) for the two 40 breeders.

Last edited:

napsterninja

AC Members
Sep 19, 2010
Try back again after their shipment(s). The stores around me don't stock it up prior but during the sale they get auto shipments of pallets of tanks. I seen it arrive that way and got my pick.

rastoma

AC Members
Feb 29, 2012
Jasper, TN
P.S.: I was charged tax on the price BEFORE discount. Came out to $96.10 with tax (7% NJ) for the two 40 breeders.
Yes I previously commented there's no way they could do that, but that's what happened on my receipt too. That seems really shady. I have never bought anything anywhere where I've gotten charged tax on the original price, of any signicant original cost. I sure would have remember that.

I can't believe the IRS is charging them tax on money they didn't collect. I paid them one price but they collected tax based on money they didn't receive. Very confusing.

Last edited:

serion

AC Members
Jun 8, 2012
Indiana
Yes I previously commented there's no way they could do that, but that's what happened on my receipt too. That seems really shady. I have never bought anything anywhere where I've gotten charged tax on the original price.

I paid them $20 for a 20 gallon tank. But they charged me tax on a $42.99 tank. They collected $20 from me (well a lot more because I bought 4 different tanks).... so they will report a $20 sale to the IRS. The IRS will figure out the tax they owe on $20. So how can it be legal for them to pocket the rest of that tax?
Actually, what they do is charge your normal price and then give you a specific discount after the fact so they have to charge tax on the original price. If you look at the receipt it'll show that you were charged full price and then once they scanned your Pals card, or whatever its called, they took the discount off after that. So, essentially it is like using a coupon.

If it rang up initially the sale price then they would have only charged you tax on the sale price.

ssuchem13

Tower Tank Master
Oct 4, 2011
chicagoland
Real Name
Eric
The same thing is done by cellphone companies

Sent from my Huawei U8800-51 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

SoapDoctor

AC Members
Jun 11, 2012
Went by after lunch and picked up a 40 breeder. My store had a stack of them. Not very many of the other sizes. Now I just need to find everything else for a cheap price.

EDIT: I too paid tax for the full price as mentioned above. Came out to $50 and some change. Still a great deal IMO.

nerdyrcdriver

AC Members
Sep 1, 2011
USA
Real Name
Nick
picked up a 29. Ended up at $58 with the lid for it. now comes the fun part, driving from fl to Il with it. Good thing I have pillows.

Sent from my LG-LS840 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Ptrick125

Learning a lot everyday
Feb 2, 2012
Georgetown(Near Austin) ,Texas
www.patrick.international
Real Name
Patrick
dang, Im in hawaii and apparently this sale does not apply here. Any ideas on how to get around this? I'd really like to get a 55g to start a salt water tank. Thanks!
Maybe you could pay a neighbor a few bucks to pick one up for you.

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

nerdyrcdriver

AC Members
Sep 1, 2011
USA
Real Name
Nick
Wow, I thought the tanks were acrylic, but they are glass. That makes this sale so much better.

Sent from my LG-LS840 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store