Planted 40 hex ideas

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

JackM

AC Members
Feb 11, 2017
Do you guys know a good LED that would do a high light for my deep of a tank if the planted+ would do about moderate to low light? I would love my lawn of micro sword and I also found this plant at Petco that looks like underwater lavender, it looks amazing but it needs high light. I could do with moderate light if the price is outrageous but I have dreams.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
It really depends what your needs are...and your budget.

You can always use 2 fixtures to get more light if you want,

You may be able to use one of the newer beamsworks LED systems, but I don't know how much light that would give you.

If they were still around, I'd suggest BML fixtures, maybe you can get one used, LUPYLED look to be promising too.

JackM

AC Members
Feb 11, 2017
Any opinions on Finnex Ray 2? The size I need is at the top of my price range but I can wait an save up. I was reading reviews that had the PAR at 55 at about my depth and I can add enough substrate to make up for how high above my rim the light would be, 3 some inches. So I can have cheaper to run LEDs, and high light for the plants I want. It's odd shape on top makes it a tad hard to add a second light so I would like to avoid one if possible.

ustabefast

AC Members
Jan 17, 2017
Santa Barbara area.
Real Name
Gregg
That PAR sounds good, that's about the PAR that the planted plus 24/7 delivers at the substrate of my 17 inch deep tank.
It sounds like a good fit and it's probably the most lighting you would want with a low tech tank.

JackM

AC Members
Feb 11, 2017
Okay so I will use carib sea black substrate for a nice thick base, have my ray 2 for high light, my micro sword and mixing of some high light flowering plants, have some longer sticks of driftwood to look like trees and some other taller plants in the back, not sure yet which ones. Then just some regular white gravel that I will form into a circle and in that circle will be the Master Sword in its pedestal looking awesome.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
Any opinions on Finnex Ray 2? The size I need is at the top of my price range but I can wait an save up. I was reading reviews that had the PAR at 55 at about my depth and I can add enough substrate to make up for how high above my rim the light would be, 3 some inches. So I can have cheaper to run LEDs, and high light for the plants I want. It's odd shape on top makes it a tad hard to add a second light so I would like to avoid one if possible.
I use a Ray2 over 20L and 37g aquariums.

I'd consider high light over the 12" 20L, and low light over the 22" tall 37.

If you're looking for high light, I would honestly look elsewhere

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store