Platy with a curved spine with pics... HELP!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Eastside Game

AC Members
Dec 14, 2010
Yesterday i have noticed that one of my female platies got a curved spine. All of the other fish are fine except her. Any suggestions on what to do with her? I have quarantined her but that's about it.

Here are the pics.( Sorry they are blurry)
moto_0230.jpgmoto_0228.jpgmoto_0231.jpg

moto_0230.jpg moto_0228.jpg moto_0231.jpg

TabisFish

AC Members
Jan 21, 2011
Loveland, Colorado
Real Name
Tabi Underwood
Yeah. I've had that happen. Normally a curved spine is from stress. It may turn into shimmy, which is caused by stress in live bearers. There's nothing really you can do

Ballyhoo

AC Members
Jun 27, 2010
Fairfield, CA
I had a convict that had gotten stuck in a decoration when he was little and had broken his spine. He was forever crooked and spent most his time on his side. He ate normally and swam as normally as possible. He lived about 6 years like that and grew to about 8 inches. Sometimes things just happen and the fish adapts or sometimes they don't.

I can't say that the curved spine isn't caused by an illness so I'd keep an eye on it. But if it's not necessarily a death sentence.

Buff

Former Squid
Oct 5, 2010
The Hills of NW Georgia
Real Name
Buff
You might want to check out this link. It could be tuberculosis.

hage0245

AC Members
Dec 8, 2010
Minnesota, baby!
Real Name
Shane
Has the fish been like that for a long time, or did it suddenly develop? I have a platy with a similar symptom, but it has been like that since it was born. I didn't think he would last that long but he's developing just fine and growing normally. He just looks weird. I just figured it was either a birth defect or caused by damage early in life.

Cerianthus

AC Members
Jul 9, 2008
With an assumption that youre using NYC water which does not have good buffering ability, perhaps your pH is lower than 7.0.

Could be due to TB but could be due to prolonged exposure to low pH for livebearers.

Post the results of basic tests!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store