Platys dying!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

casey.jordan

AC Members
Jul 6, 2011
HELP! I read everyones articles, and now my regular goldfish's gills on one side are almost blood-shot looking, it looks like popped blood vessels in one side of his gills. I just did an 80% water change, like a website told me, because I believe it is nitrite poisoning. Is this deadly if treated right away with water changes, lower temperatures of the replaced water, and aquarium salt? I'm so worried, it just appeared on his gills overnight! HELP!!!!!!!

jpierce3

AC Members
Aug 1, 2011
Western Ohio
Yes, water changes will help. If you can get a test kit and verify what is going on with your water it would be even more helpful. Has it caused any permanent damage? Hard to say right now. With readings on the water parameters it will help.

casey.jordan

AC Members
Jul 6, 2011
Hey! So I think I got the excess chemicals in order and out of the tank. However, another problem I recently found with my "common goldfish".. Arielle is her name and she's getting a bit old. She is no longer gold, she is turning white and losing her gold color. This has been happening for some time now, but I started seeing a yellow-ish tint of color on her face, and the back of her tail. Also, I've noticed overnight, a little white bump of decent size, I don't think it's ich, I've seen that before, grow on her top fin that is on the top of her body. It is small and has grown on the tip of her fin, it looks like a growth. What can I do about the yellow-tinge her skin is turning, and the little bump? Is she going to be okay??! PLEASE RESPOND ASAP!

Glabe

River Rat
May 10, 2011
how old is old? and can you post a picture please?

casey.jordan

AC Members
Jul 6, 2011
I've had Arielle for 2 years now, but I'm not sure how old she was when I purchased her either. Sure I'll upload a picture.

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
You test water parameters with a test kit. Look into the API master kit, it's one of the best. :) you can find them at petco and petsmart, and they're also on amazon. You start that vacuum by sucking on the open end, and pouring the water into a bucket ;) every time you strip that tank, you start your cycle over and open your fish up to even more disease then if you just left it alone. :) welcome to AC by the way!!!
There are a variety of videos on youtube that'll show you your options on starting a siphon (until starting this hobby up again, I didn't realize that youtube was useful for anything other than looking up funny videos). I do not suck the open end. Not my style. I'd fill the vac end with water by holding it under the water, then turning it vertical, and giving it a few vigorous quick up and down shakes. That pushes water up into the tube, and as soon as enough water is high enough, gravity takes over, and you maintain suction until you get enough air in the business end. I usually go through the process 2 or 3 times for each water change, since my drainage bucket is a 5 gallon.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store