Platys dying!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
Thank you everyone for responding and being so kind Moonstruck and Homedog. I'm trying the best that I can to keep these guys healthy, yes the glow tetra fish and the platy and goldfish are all 3 years old. I will research the re-cycling of the tank and learn how to keep the water parameters under control. Thanks so much. When I used to clean the tank, and strip it down, the fish would be placed in a fish bowl, individually. Only for about 20 minutes, then they would be added back into the tank. Maybe not a brilliant idea, but I wanted to try to clean the tank and take the bad bacteria out, even though I didn't know that I was messing with the good bacteria.
Oh, and because no one has stressed this yet (as far as I've read) that 10 gallon tank is *really* not the best because in addition to the goldfish alone needing a bigger tank to be happy, your glow light tetras are *much* happier if there are at least 6 in the tank, which would overcrowd that tank even more. You can sometimes get away with an overstocked tank, but that will require much more dedication to maintaining it.

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
And please don't think we're castigating you. We're just trying to provide useful information for you. You're smart enough to ask for help. We've all been there, some sooner than others. I had 3 tank builds (2 x 20 gallon and one 55) that I can look back on, and I have to ask myself "WTF were you thinking?" because the fish survived, but didn't ever have a chance to thrive. My fish now look very happy, and I've asked *tons* of questions, and read *hundreds* of existing threads to try to get to that point, and I know I can still learn more. I doubt any of the regular posters here think they know everything.

casey.jordan

AC Members
Jul 6, 2011
but what about the pictures i've posted? Is there something wrong with Arielle that her skin is a little yellow and that growth is on her fin???!

casey.jordan

AC Members
Jul 6, 2011
no, i'm a new college student, so my fish are at home now, and in the midst of packing i did not get a test kit. what should i do? my parents are now taking care of my fish

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
Unfortunately really the only thing to suggest right now is water changes and hope for the best. Unless you are going to be able to monitor the fish daily then I don't see many other options based on the current situation.

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
Have you gotten any actual param readings yet?

Very important information up there. The pros will be able to give you more information, and can make better guesses at what's going on with that data. I'd guess she's an old fish, and her body is starting to break down, but I'm neither one of the smart ones on this site, nor am I a fan of goldfish in general.

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
Goldfish live VERY long lives compared to other ornamental fish. 2 years is nothing, really, and judging by the size of the fish I doubt it is at the point where an issue should be contributed to old age.
See what I get for trying to help? Education! :thumbsup:
Not something I was particularly *looking* to know, but is still good to know.

So, Pappy, that does bring me to a question: why the color change?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store