Please help me! Wal-Mart fish!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

FastFly67

AC Members
Sep 18, 2008
SC
that's a critter keeper, not a fishtank

kjr928

Go fish yourself.
It was kind of you to want to save them, but the truth is that they were probably better off in the larger, filtered tank at Walmart (even though it was dirty).

Your fish are not going to live long in that 1 gallon thing.

Since they are so small they can live in a 10 gallon with a filter for a while, but it won't be too long before they will need something bigger.

So, that is your first task - to get some water conditioner, a bigger tank & a filter set up. Until then there's really nothing else you can do to help them. I also suggest you read the sticky on cycling.

Good luck.

My_Goldie

Part Time Ninja
Mar 1, 2009
Chandler, AZ
Real Name
Angela
As already mentioned... you need a bigger tank. 20 gal minimum for when they get larger, and that's if you only plan on keeping 2. But the 10 gallon starters are less than 40$ at walmart, and that will provide you with everything you need to make a safe environment for your fish.

Filter helps alot. I have a 50 gal goldfish tank, and I don't have a bubbler, just a filter with a high current to aerate the water.

Walmart has the Jungle brand water conditioners (it's what I use) It's called Start Right with Allantoin (a natural skin protectant) I've never had any problems with it.

Feeder fish can grow like weeds given the right conditions. I have a feeder fish who is now 6 inches long.

Good luck! :)

huffmagx

AC Members
Feb 17, 2009
Georgia
Beautiful Fish! I have seen a set up at walmart that runs less than 40$ its a 10 gal with a filter , top, light and a heater > I would see if you can convince your parents to purchase something like that for you to earn with chores later and after you get your 2 existing fish moved over to it take that little set up back and get your money back. Also get your money back for the dead fish if the time limit has not passed that can help defray the cost.
Best of luck to you sweetie!

mel_20_20

AC Members
Sep 1, 2008
Deep in the heart of texas
Well, the water looks pretty clean, but they mess it up very quickly. If you can't run get a bigger tank tonight, ask you dad if he has an extra bubbler you can use.

He may even have an air compressor on his big tank, that has another air outlet. If he has extra airline you could set your tank in the room next to his, run airling from his compressor and stick the airline down in the tank so the bubbler can add some oxygen to the water.

Then, tomorrow, as soon as possible,you will need to put fresh, dechlorinated water in the tank. Water that is the same temp as the water they are in. Then make a run to Walmart for a 10 gallon with filter. They won't live long if you don't get them out of that little tank.

My_Goldie

Part Time Ninja
Mar 1, 2009
Chandler, AZ
Real Name
Angela
Well, the water looks pretty clean, but they mess it up very quickly.
Very good point! They do mess water very very quickly. Especially a 1 gallon. You will need to do partial WC every day, until you are able to get them into a larger tank. Especially without a filter on there.

VivaLaVics

*blub bubble*
Oct 3, 2008
Seattle, WA
www.myspace.com
You are getting GREAT advice here! I just saw a 10 gallon combo from walmart for $38.99! Those fisheys will be so happy when they get the extra space and filter! :)

Good job getting online to try and figure out the right things to do. Shows maturity that you and your friend are willing to do the research (even if it is a little late) and get these fish taken care of!

I want to see pics of them in a week or two after they have their new set up! :)

GusBus

Soup
Feb 16, 2009
In illinois
Well i have 2 Goldfish in my 14 gallon and they act fine and you should Def. consider getting a bigger tank

Fishpoop

AC Members
Feb 17, 2009
I am a beginning aquarist, so please understand I'm no expert. However, everything I have read has told me that goldfish require 10 gallons each. The reason they hardly ever grow very large or live very long is because people (usually very well-meaning people) don't know how to keep them properly. My roommate has a 37-gallon tank with four goldfish, and that is a very overstocked tank. Her oldest goldie is 3 years old and is about seven inches long, including tail. In perfect conditions, they can live up to 40 years and be over a foot long! Goldfish are great pets, but they're a hard fish to begin the hobby with.

Here's my advice. First, check with your parents to make sure it's okay for you to do anything. If they say it's okay and are willing to help out, get yourself a 20 gallon tank. Craigslist and garage sales are your friend if you don't have a lot of money! You also need substrate, plants (plastic or silk ones are fine) and a filter. In the meantime, read everything you can about goldfish, the nitrogen cycle, filtration, water conditioning, and feeding. You could end up with a fantastic new hobby and some very happy fish.

If you find you've gotten yourself into "deep water", so to speak, and really want to save the fish, you may be able to find a local fish shop, aquarium, or fish enthusiast to adopt them.

I think your hearts are in the right place. I wish you the best of luck.

-Morgan

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store