Please help me! Wal-Mart fish!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mel_20_20

AC Members
Sep 1, 2008
Deep in the heart of texas
Thank you everyone for the great advice! I conditioned the water and cleaned the tank today, they're swimming happily about the tank. Luckily today and yesterday we had no school due to report cards being due, so I'm having my dad take me up to Petsmart today to get a bubbler, fliter, and a much bigger tank.

OK guys, so she is following our advice and doing everything we have suggested, and I appreciate her willingness to do what is needed for the sake of her new fishies. :)

While I agree that her decision was impulsive: she listened to her heart; she then used her head: she sought out expert advice, which she found her on AC.:clap:

She found help here on AC, and, admirably, she and her father are going to Walmart to get a bigger, hopefully really much bigger, tank. :thumbsup:

I thing we've all made mistakes, I know I've made bad decisions, and I'm an adult, based on my own ignorance and the ignorance of well meaning fish store sales persons.

I didn't even realise, until I learned it here on AC, that fish store sales people very often don't have a clue as to what's right regarding appropriate choices for the tank size and the experience level of the customer.

I was naive to have believed that the pet store management would feel a responsibility to their customers and their stock, and therefore would have some type of basic fishkeeping training for their sales staff.

I bought a solitary "Emerald Cory" for a 10 gallon at the recommendation of a very self confident young woman who assured me that he would be perfect for a 10 gallon.

So, I have had a Brochis Splendens in my tank for eight months that I need to rehome, and he is healthy and thriving in spite of being the only one of his kind thanks to the association and family feeling he has with my two ADFs.

I appreciate the patience and kindness I have received here on AC,:) and I have felt like an idiot for some of the mistakes I've made, :duh:though I can honestly say I've never had any one of you make me feel that way.

I appreciate you guys for helping me... I know alyssaa does, too. :thm:

austinpetemo

AC Members
Sep 25, 2007
Newton Falls, OH
omg poor goldies. being kept in a 1g. you definatly need to get them a better home than that.beginers mistake, if you make a hobby out of it you will learn alot. dont worry i terrobly overstocked my first tank.

FastFly67

AC Members
Sep 18, 2008
SC
O

I didn't even realise, until I learned it here on AC, that fish store sales people very often don't have a clue as to what's right regarding appropriate choices for the tank size and the experience level of the customer.

I was naive to have believed that the pet store management would feel a responsibility to their customers and their stock, and therefore would have some type of basic fishkeeping training for their sales staff.
How is it the pet stores responsibility to educate people on pets their going to spend money on?
When you go to adopt a dog, sometimes they'll ask if you have the appropriate space for the dog but are they going to go into your financial background to see if you can possibly afford the vet bills if you newly adopted dog get sick? Or if you have other pets which might harm you newly adopted dog?
Quite frankly I think it's no ones responsibility but their own to do proper research before buying.
AND even when pet store employees DO give proper instructions, most people don't listen to them. They're going to do what they want no matter the advice. I see it alot on forums as well, people ask for advice but don't listen to given advice because it's not what they want to hear.

cellodaisy

AC Members
Jan 11, 2009
Cincinnati OH 45219
meganstrickland.com
How is it the pet stores responsibility to educate people on pets their going to spend money on?
When you go to adopt a dog, sometimes they'll ask if you have the appropriate space for the dog but are they going to go into your financial background to see if you can possibly afford the vet bills if you newly adopted dog get sick? Or if you have other pets which might harm you newly adopted dog?
I think the difference is that pet store employees will often actively provide incorrect information---not intentionally, I'm sure, but when a novice is told something by the employees, how can they be expected to know that the information they are receiving from these supposedly knowledgeable people is wrong? Also, some adoption facilities DO give you the third degree before taking a pet home. Our local humane society asks for financial information and references (which they do call), among other things. It just depends on the organization.

I see it alot on forums as well, people ask for advice but don't listen to given advice because it's not what they want to hear.
The OP is listening to advice and trying hard to do the right thing. I think we could keep up the help and support but go easy on the chastising in this case. :)

Deanthoreu

its: Dean Thoreau
Mar 11, 2009
near Philadelphia
very nice alyssa.....u are doing real good.
Now go ask your dad if he can hook up a single air hose to your tank..so the goldfish get some air. You may have to put your tank near your dad's if he does not have a spare air pump

Walmart has a 10 gallon starter set that has everything u need for about 30 dollars.
Ask dad if you can borrow 30 dollars :)
tell him this is your beginning to becoming a scientist...

VivaLaVics

*blub bubble*
Oct 3, 2008
Seattle, WA
www.myspace.com
Quite frankly I think it's no ones responsibility but their own to do proper research before buying.

AND even when pet store employees DO give proper instructions, most people don't listen to them. They're going to do what they want no matter the advice. I see it alot on forums as well, people ask for advice but don't listen to given advice because it's not what they want to hear.
I agree with the first half. It is your responsibility.

BUT- this is at WALMART- where the person in charge of the fish probably knows NOTHING- and we are talking about a 13 year old here.

She saw a fish in need, her dad keeps fish well, and she wanted to see the goldfish just as happy as those at home! She and her friend didn't know what they were doing.

It's obvious a dog or cat is a large investment- there aren't VET BILLS for a FISH!!!!!!!! People are GROSSLY misinformed about fish in general- look at all the mistreated bettas. My cat's VET has a betta in a little dish that probably holds 2 cups of water. (which i promptly lectured them on) So that is an unfair comparison.

If you think of yourself the first time you seriously had fish, you were probably older than this girl, and JUST as misinformed. This 13 year old can grow up to be a 20 year old expert fish keeper, giving people like us all the advice we would ever need.

WE in the fish keeping community, need to nurture this desire for fish, and give her the knowledge needed to do it appropriatly. How many 13 year olds do you know would get in a fish forum and post an urgent thread like this? Let alone know that a still, hiding fish is an UNHEALTHY one? She KNEW something was wrong and wanted to do right!!!

I can't wait to see what Alyssa's tanks look like 3, 5, 10 years from now. She admitted her lack of education from the start, mentioning she was 13 and didn't know any better- she's also taking the action to correct it.

After this long rant, the point is- we should be supportive, and proud, that someone so young could have such a desire to treat these creatures correctly, and the WISDOM to look in the right places for answers.

alyssaa

AC Members
Mar 30, 2009
Good news and bad news,
The good news is that we got a bubbler and a much better fish tank for them. Bad news, the tank is still a one gallon tank. I was planning on getting a 20 gallon tank and as they grow, I could eventually transfer them to my dad's tank. It consists mostly of silver dollars, algae eaters, and rainbow fish. (There's an angelfish in there too, but he shouldn't give them too much trouble). But...Petsmart was completely out of stock when it came to 20 to 30 gallon tanks, and though my dad wouldn't believe that for a second, they insisted that there was none 'in the back room'. The next closest pet store was about another hour away according to the navigation system, and the new pet store in the mall just closed because of lack of funding. (What did they expect, the mall is right next to a Petsmart!) So it looks like I could possibly seperate them a put a bubbling tube into each one, but should I really seperate them? Would they be happier together? This is crazy xD

Carnie

AC Members
Dec 11, 2008
Utah
Also I hope your mom didn't use any soap when cleaning the items in the tank if there was any soap left on them it could hurt the quality of water even more so with such a small tank but they are right about the 10 gallon and its a better starter aquarium anyway.

VivaLaVics

*blub bubble*
Oct 3, 2008
Seattle, WA
www.myspace.com
Alyssaa, you REALLY need at LEAST a 10 gallon for them! Did Petsmart have a 10 gallon??? Walmart has them! And some of those are 24 hours. You really need to get them at least a 10 gallon until they start to get bigger.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store