Pleco wont eat vegetables!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

HugoFish

AC Members
Sep 11, 2019
Albania
Real Name
Gleis
Hello i have a
common pleco . Recived it a week ago ,and tried to give him different vegetables like zucchini or cucumber , but he wont even touch that! What should i do??

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I've had good luck making a small slit in several kinds of veggie & putting a piece of pellet or wafer food in the slit. That will help it to recognize the veg as food.

"common plecos" get to be (depending on species) from somewhere between 4 & 18 inches long. Can you post a pic? What is your tank size?

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Commons also need driftwood to rasp on, but it looks like you've got that covered for now.

I've never kept a common, but my bristlenose plecos go nuts over cucumber. They're on it as soon as it hits the bottom of the tank. Zucchini they won't eat.

HugoFish

AC Members
Sep 11, 2019
Albania
Real Name
Gleis
20190916_204022.jpgbought this for bottom feeders cause it didnt had pleco food , can i give it to my pleco or return it back

the loach

AC Members
Aug 6, 2018
Return it. Too much protein, he needs algae wafers.
It's not the food... he is not feeling well. What are the water parameters?
Also the tank seems very small, you are aware that "common" pleco's grow to like 1 1/2 feet in length?

HugoFish

AC Members
Sep 11, 2019
Albania
Real Name
Gleis
water parameters are very good, for the moment the tank is ok because his very small , but why is he not eating ? Someone online sad that he will eat after some weeks because he needs to be used with the tank . Is that true and how was the first 2 weeks that you guys bought a pleco ?
THNX :)

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I'm going to say Tabimin is ok for many plecos (but I haven't seen it in many years). Look at my previous post on how to get plecos to try new foods. Some plecos are vegitarian for the most part, some (many) are omnivores & some are carnivores.

I did not see a pic of your fish, just wood & food. Try again for a pic of your pleco please.

HugoFish

AC Members
Sep 11, 2019
Albania
Real Name
Gleis
This is his fav spot . And by the way if hes vegetarian with what should i feed him ? If you say go and buy blood worms in the pet shop is pointless. Im living in Albania where the pet shop owner says wash your filter with tap water , and that food pic was the only food i could find for pleco here! Can i give him worms directly from the ground? And What else should i know about feeding pleco

20190917_181459.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store