Pleco won't stop eating

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

JBsWifey

AC Members
Oct 25, 2020
Hello, I have about an 8" common pleco who won't stop eating. I had to start giving him wafers & shrimp pellets every day because if I don't he'll go to the top & kick my angel fish out of the way to eat their food. I know everyone says plecos don't go to the top but this 1 does. He's also eaten 1 of my angel fish and about 6 of my orange von rio tetras. Anyone have any ides on what's going on?

the loach

AC Members
Aug 6, 2018
You mean eaten the dead fish? You know they grow to 2 feet right? You don't have enough edible algae for him and have to feed him with wafers and vegetables or he gets very hungry, that's normal.

Reactions: JBsWifey

NoodleCats

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Canada
Real Name
Casscats
Camera Used
My phone (Samsung 22)
As they grow, they become more carnivorous as adults, not eating as much algae as they did when small.

Supplement him some carnivore pellets a couple times a week along with his usual fare of algae wafers and veggies, but also consider some foods like shrimp too

JBsWifey

AC Members
Oct 25, 2020
You mean eaten the dead fish? You know they grow to 2 feet right? You don't have enough edible algae for him and have to feed him with wafers and vegetables or he gets very hungry, that's normal.
Yes I do know they get that big. I have plants in there for him but he doesn't want them or the vegetables. He ate the fish while they were still alive. When he was younger he ate my African Dwarf frog too.

FJB

AC Members
Jun 7, 2019
Who says plecos (of various types) don't go to the surface?
They do whatever they want.... whether we are watching them or sleeping, as long as there is something to eat!

IMG_0424.jpg

IMG_0425.jpg

IMG_0431.jpg

the loach

AC Members
Aug 6, 2018
It's not normal for them to attack fish but if you starve them... they don't eat plants. He should love zucchini and squash and cooked broccoli. As long as he eats the wavers he'll be fine.

JBsWifey

AC Members
Oct 25, 2020
It's not normal for them to attack fish but if you starve them... they don't eat plants. He should love zucchini and squash and cooked broccoli. As long as he eats the wavers he'll be fine.
1st off I definitely don't starve him or why would I give 2 sh**s about him eating constantly. 2nd he does eat plants, he ate 5 giant Amazon swords. If you want someone to judge go to another feed.

NoodleCats

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Canada
Real Name
Casscats
Camera Used
My phone (Samsung 22)
Hey that wasn't very nice to the loach. Hes trying to tell you what to do to help the situation, but instead you are getting reactive, instead of taking a step back and considering what was said to help you.

1, the pleco needs supplemental food, they have HUGE appetites and need to be provided their own food.

2, common plecos need a huge tank, over 200 gallons. They get huge and have a huge bioload for tanks too small.

3, common plecos don't eat your plants. The swords would become frayed and damaged from a huge pleco grazing on the leaves. It's just collateral damage to your plants, not deliberately being eaten. Anyone with pleco experience can tell you that overtime they can wear out the leaves of plants with their teeth.

4, common plecos need more meaty foods in their diets as they grow large, yours is at this size.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store