Pleco won't stop eating

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

JBsWifey

AC Members
Oct 25, 2020
My Betta (snowflake)
My tiny catfish
Some of my tetras
And suckery the escape artist
I put him back in the 50gal all by his lonesome and he hasn't been acting crazy.

20201112_222646.jpg

20201112_222638.jpg

20201112_222622.jpg

20201109_013942.jpg

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Sprinkle

JBsWifey

AC Members
Oct 25, 2020
I did a water change on the 25gal as soon as I moved him then another the next day. I took all ornaments out & cleaned the gravel & the parameters are perfect.

JBsWifey

AC Members
Oct 25, 2020
I should also have asked if you have real wood in the tank. I don't see any in your pics but maybe you said? Some plecos need wood in their diet, many just like it to graze on it, a few don't care. All that fiber does lead to long poop strings but that's partly because many have very long digestive tracts to deal with plants & wood lignin, lots of roughage...just part of pleco charm? lol

Some "commons" get 18-24 inches but some don't much bigger than 8 or 10". That would still be a large fish! but much more manageable for a "normal" home big tank size. Any luck with better pics?

How's it going now? Any changes in behavior? Or more dead fish? I'm concerned about that...Maybe some wafer foods would help slow him down, they take a while to eat & he may need more than 1 or 2 most days. There are even 1s with wood in them :)
Now that he's by himself he's very relaxed. He probably didn't like all of the others being in his space. He doesn't act like he's starving anymore. I give him about 4 wafers + 4 shrimp wafers and sometimes he doesn't eat all of the algae wafers

Reactions: Sprinkle

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I had a friend that had a "common plec" that climbed out of her tank & into a big plant pot almost every night! She would just pick him up & put him back...& repeat.

This angle of tummy pic looks much better! Can you still try for a tail & dorsal fin pic?...Does he have real wood? I'm glad he's more mellow!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store